[KS] painter Kim Chin-u (1883?-1950) ... how did he die?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Jan 15 02:13:30 EST 2011

Hello All:

I wonder, if anyone has further information about
the circumstances of the death of painter Kim
Chin-u (1883?-1950, North Korean biog. dict. give
the birth year as 1886)?
He was known as a 'Four Gentlement' painter,
specializing in bamboo painting, but also got
himself involved in the cause of the Korean
independence movement (went to Shanghai, got
arrested at his return, etc.).

Very short English info:
http://www.artmuseumofphiladelphia.com/collections/permanent/204040.html?mulR=4489

Short bio in Korean:
http://www.chodongho.org/bbs2010/bbs/board.php?bo_table=visitor&wr_id=3356

I am looking on further clarification about the
Sôdaemun Prison part ... his political actions
that got him there. I'd be very grateful if
anyone is aware of a good source, or can point
out more details.

Thanks.

Frank