[KS] Park Wan-So

Young-Key Kim-Renaud kimrenau at gwu.edu
Sat Jan 22 15:41:14 EST 2011

Dear Brother Anthony (and colleagues),

Thank you for letting us know the sad news. This is a terrible loss and such
a surprise, too. I thought she was in good health and expected her to
continue to be productive for many more years. Pak Wan-so was a close
classmate of my aunt, Han Mahlsook, and at first knew my mother,Hahn
Moo-Sook, as her friend's sister before she began her writing career. My
mother and Pak formed a special bond through their shared tragic experience
of losing a promising young son. During a colloquium commemorating Hahn
Moo-Sook at GW, Pak said Hahn was one of the people that she felt very
intensely about and wanted to create a work with a character modeled after
her. Alas, that will never be done.

I am comforted by the fact that Pak has joined her son. The two mothers and
their sons must certainly be enjoying the reunion in the place where they
can never be separated again.

Pak Wan-so enriched this world with her jewel-like literature and with her
own beautiful character full of humanity. May she enjoy eternal peace and
may her legacy shine through the ages!

With deep sorrow,

Young-Key

Young-Key Kim-Renaud, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Professor of Korean Language and Culture and International Affairs
The George Washington University
801 22nd Street, N.W. (Academic Center, Rome Hall 452)
Washington, DC 20052
E-mail: kimrenau at gwu.edu
http://home.gwu.edu/~kimrenau
http://myprofile.cos.com/kimreny76