[KS] Park Wan-So

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Sun Jan 23 23:15:06 EST 2011

Dear Young-Key and colleagues,

Yesterday evening I visited Pak Wan-so's 빈소 with my wife and daughter to pay our respects, as we'd had the privilege of meeting her on several occasions. As Young-Key writes, she enriched the world with her literature and a beautiful character full of humanity. Her work has been a great source of pleasure to me both as a reader and a translator, and I've noticed regularly over the years how positively my students have responded to her work.

Although I don't usually invoke the pathetic fallacy, it did seem that nature too was showing its grief as a cold, grey day gave way to blizzard conditions, creating turmoil around the country and turning what should have been a 45 minute trip for us back to Seoul from Icheon, where we were visiting friends, into a 4.5 hour ordeal. But the time spent sitting in traffic in an intense snowstorm also gave me opportunity to reflect on Pak Wan-so's work and her life and to consider how insignificant our "ordeal" in getting back to Seoul was in comparison to the upheavals she experienced and which she wrote about with such feeling and insight. I thought, above all, of the harrowing last chapter of Who Ate Up All the Shinga, where she describes her attempted flight from Seoul with her family as North Korea recaptured the city during the Korean War and the hardships they went through. Our own troubles trying to get to the hospital also involved a lost cell phone and an unreliable GPS navigator, and I was reminded of how she, as much as any South Korean author here, has conveyed the disorienting and ambiguous effects of social and technological change and skewered the fetishization of material goods. All of this offered humbling food for thought, even as she had gone. I hope that our perseverance in finally making it there to pay our respects can at least partially reflect how much she meant to us.

Ms. Pak was a literary giant, but more importantly she was an exceptional human being. The outpouring of tributes here has been quite remarkable, more than I've seen for any other literary figure. She clearly struck a chord with a number of people and made an impact on their lives,  and she will be (is already) deeply missed.

Stephen