[KS] Chinese influence and communities in Korea

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:54:39 EDT 2011

Hello all,

A couple of quick thoughts on this very interesting thread:

A significant number of Ming “Chinese” came to the Chosôn kingdom,
particularly in the aftermath of the Hideyoshi invasions and were recognized
as “submitting foreigners” (along with some Jurchen and Japanese; Korea has
never been as homogeneous as the national myths might indicate) by the
Chosôn state. See Adam Bohnet’s excellent dissertation “Migrant and Border
Subjects in Late Chosôn Korea” (Toronto, 2008) for much more on this.

Don Baker and others have mentioned the Chinese influx of the late
19thcentury. I would add a couple of observations:

--first, the Chinese began arriving in Korea even before Yuan Shikai; they
were encouraged by the Qing state and by the presence of diplomatic and
consular representatives on the ground in Hansông (Seoul) and the treaty
ports, beginning with Chen Shutang in 1882. This is the era in which the
Inch’ôn and Hansông Chinatowns began (along with smaller versions in Pusan
and Wônsan and a sizable if not always legal Chinese presence along the
northwest coast).

--second, the origin and make-up of these early Chinese migrants was
remarkably diverse with merchants and migrants hailing from Guangdong,
Zhejiang, Shanghai, Tianjin and a host of other places. Their commercial
activities ranged in scale from individual peddlers wandering the
countryside with a pack of cloth, thread and matches to far-flung
conglomerates with offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Nagasaki. As the open
port period (1876-1910) and the subsequent period of Japanese colonial rule
wore on, however, this first wave of migrants was dwarfed by a much larger
influx of migrants from nearby Shandong who, rather than engage in
commercial activity, tended toward the “three knives” (cutting hair
(barbers), cutting cloth (tailors), cutting vegetables (restaurants) service
sector. It was mostly these later migrants that formed the core of the
Chinese community in Korea that experienced the aftermath of the Wanbaoshan
(Manbosan) incident that Don Clark writes of and that ran most of the
“Chinese” restaurants (Chunghwa yori) in Korea. Makes me pine for some
chajangmyôn!

Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--