[KS] Chinese influence and communities in Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Jul 2 22:51:51 EDT 2011

Just a short add-on note to the wonderful
accounts by Donald Clark, Don Baker, James B.
Lewis, and others:

Donald Clark already mentioned the Japanese
Government General's annual reports. You can
indeed find a lot of data there, and several U.S.
libraries have sets also:
http://lccn.loc.gov/12026643
I am not sure, as I do not have history related
books with me now, but you could also check if
Irene B. Taeuber has a summary in her _The
Population of Japan_ (1958)
[http://lccn.loc.gov/58007122] which has a
chapter or two on Korea -- these are mostly based
on Japanese reports such as the above volumes.

Also wanted to note that the main and probably
only cause for the Chinese leaving South Korea
between the late 1960s to the mid-1980s, not just
to the U.S. but also to Taiwan, was very directly
related to the Park government's specific
policies "against" the Chinese. The Chinese were
simply mistrusted politically because of Mao's
revolution "at home." The Park administration had
introduced a couple of new discriminatory
regulations. Business activities were restricted,
landownership was restricted, and I believe even
Chinese schools had various restrictions, all
this clearly aimed at driving them out. I believe
that by the early or mid-1980s, when I was first
in Korea, almost all the Chinese owned
restaurants and other businesses had disappeared
from the mentioned Myôngdong area. And,
ironically enough (!), with the hand-over of the
Taiwanese Embassy right behind the Central Post
Office in Myôngdong to the People's Republic of
China the very last Chinese shop owners left.
Were their places then taken over by Yônbyôn
Korean-Chinese? (We saw new Chinese shops in that
area a few years ago.)

Best,
Frank