[KS] Chinese influence and communities in Korea

James B. Lewis jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 20:27:26 EDT 2011

In regards to Japan, I think Prof. Ledyard means the 17th century, not
the 18th century. Japan in the 17th century experienced a boom of
Sinophilia. Preceding this and partly stimulating it must have been the
looted libraries and large numbers of Korean Confucianists abducted
during the Imjin Waeran.

JB Lewis
______________________________

--
Dr. James B. Lewis
University Lecturer in Korean History
Email: jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Tel: +44-(0)1865-278200
http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/html/ea/korean/korean.html

Currently:
Visiting Researcher
Room 454 (International Center for Korean Studies)
Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies
Seoul National University
599 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 151-742
Republic of Korea