[KS] Chinese influence and communities in Korea

Kwang On Yoo lovehankook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:22:58 EDT 2011

Hello all,

Dr. Hillary's second question addresses the study of the Confucian classics
in Korea.
Henny Savenije (Professsor Lee Hae Kang) mentioned the mean Chinese
landlords of Hendrick Hamel and fellow Dutchmen while they were in Seoul
(1653-1656) and since Dr. Gari Ledyard had contributed to this same thread,
I will quote Hamel's observation of 17 Century Korean education (Chinese
Classics) from Dr. Gari's 1971 book," The Dutch Come to Korea, An Account of
the First Westerners in Korea (1653-1666):

"Education
The Nobility, and all Free-man in general, take great care of the education
of their Children, and put them very young to learn to
read and write, to which that Nation is much addicted. They use no manner of
rigour on their method of teaching, but manage all
by fair means, giving their Scholar an Idea of Learning, and of the Worth of
their Ancestors, and telling them how honourable
those are who by this means have rais'd themselves to a great Fortunes,
which breeds Emulation, and makes them student.
It is wonderful to see how they improve by these means, and how they
expounded the Writings they give them to read, wherein
all their Learning consists. Besides this private Study, there is in every
Town a House where the Nobility, according to ancient Custom,
of which they are very tenacious, take care to assemble the Youth, to make
them read the History of the Country, and the Condemnation of Great Men,
who have been put to death for their Crimes. To perfect them in their
Learning there are Assemblies kept yearly in two or three Towns of each
Province,
where the Scholars appear to get Employment either by the pen or by the
Sword. The Governors of Towns send able Deputies thither to examine them,
and choose the best qualified;
and according to the report made to them , they write to the King. The
greatest Men in the Kingdom are there, where they are in Post or not.
Their Employment are bestow'd on those that are thought worthy, and the King
orders Commissions to be issu'd out. The old Officers,
who till than have only had Ciivil or Military Commissions, at this time use
all their endeavours to be employ'd in both Professions, to increase their
Revenue.
The aspiring to these Honours is often the ruin of Candidates, because of
the present they make, the treats they give, to gain Reputation, and obtain
Votes,
Some there are also that die by the way, and most of them are satisfy'd with
getting the Title of Employ they aim at, thinking it honour enough to have
been design;d
for a post." page 218-9

Regards,

Kwang-On Yoo