[KS] The History of Korean Cartography

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Tue Jul 5 12:44:00 EDT 2011

I'd like to announce on the List that my article "Cartography in
Korea", which appeared in Vol. 2, Book 2 of The History of Cartography
(Univ. of Chicago Press, 1994), has been published in Korean
translation as a book (단행본).

Under the title <한국 고지도의 역사>, translated by 장상훈, a research official
at the Korean National Museum, and published by 출판사 소나무, it came out a
couple of weeks ago and has been commented upon in the newspapers.
This year is the 150th anniversary of Kim ChOngho's famous national
map, the 대동여지도, so it got a little extra attention. I cooperated with
Mr. Jang during the translation process, and I think the result is
very good.

The Korean version is strikingly different from the original Univ. of
Chicago publication, which had only six illustrations in color--and
even those embarrassingly printed in two separate color sections
grouped with maps from Japan and Southeast Asia. The great majority of
the original 54 black-and-white illustrations appear in the Korean
version in beautiful colors.

The Korean version presents my entire English text in exactly the same
order as I originally arranged it. But it has broken it into five
distinct chapters, each decorated with a colorful detail from a Korean
map. Some of the chapters are divided into sections. This all makes
for a sharper and more orderly presentation. There is a great
bibliography and a detailed index.

All in all, it is a great pleasure to see such a beautiful Korean
presentation of my original "article." The price is a very reasonable
\35,000.

Gari Ledyard