[KS] "The Martyred"

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 06:05:14 EDT 2011

Many thanks to Kwang-On Yoo for this and
all the other materials he kindly shares.

I was wondering where this came from.
It wasn't hard to find. The link is:
_http://www.asian-studies.org/eaa/lostname.htm_
(http://www.asian-studies.org/eaa/lostname.htm)

Best wishes
Aidan FC

Aidan  Foster-Carter
Honorary  Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds
University,  UK
lovehankook at gmail.com writes:

Hello,

Dr. David Kim's announcement also brought to our attention the passing  of
Professor Richard Kim in 2009.
In memory of Professor Kim, I would like  to share following...

Lost Names is a useful, rare, and wonderful  book for several reasons. The
book’s title reflects the Japanese Pacific  War policy of forcing Koreans to
replace their own names with Japanese  ones. Lost Names is the story, as
recounted by a young boy, of  one Korean family’s experience during the war
years. Although Lost  Names is technically a novel, according to author
Richard Kim, " . .  . all the characters and events described in the book are
real, but  everything else is fiction." Never in my time in Asian Studies has
one  work been so applicable to such a wide range of students as is the case
with Lost Names.
In the pages that follow, we feature an interview  by EAA editorial board
member Kathy Masalski with Richard E. Kim  and essays by a junior high,
senior high school, and university  instructor on how they have used Lost Names
as a highly effective  teaching tool. We sincerely hope this special feature
encourages  teachers at all levels to read Lost Names and consider using it
with students.
Lucien Ellington

Center for East Asian  Studies. After reading Peter Wright’s, Susan Mastro’s,
and Dick Minear’s  essays about their teaching of Lost Names, I asked Lucien
if he  would be interested in an interview with Kim. Lucien had read the
book  and read the essays (Kim did not ask to see them before publication),
and urged me to proceed. Kim agreed to get together with me on May 18 in
Amherst, Massachusetts.
I presented him with a list of questions  that I had prepared. The
interview lasted three hours; I took copious  notes and wrote them up immediately
afterward. Although I suggested that  he edit the final interview, Kim
declined. What follows are selected  passages from our discussion that  afternoon.

I should note that I approach Lost  Names as history, and my questions
reflect my background as a history  teacher. An English teacher would have asked
different questions. Lost Names  is first and foremost creative writing.
Social studies teachers may well wish  to introduce the book to their
colleagues in the English or Language Arts  departments.
____________________________________

Masalski: One question the  audience always has about Lost Names is whether
it is fiction or  nonfiction. Do you really intend to tell readers that
nothing in Lost  Names is "factual" or "historical"? How much of what is in it
actually  happened? How much actually happened to you?

Kim: Everything in the book actually  happened. It happened to me. So why
am I always insisting it’s not  autobiographical? I think because of the way
I used the things that  actually happened. You have to arrange them, mix
them up. Above all,  it’s interpretation of facts, of actual events—some
thirty or forty  years later. For example, when "the boy" gets beaten, what went
through  his mind? We don’t know. . . . even I don’t know. I like to
separate the  actual events from the emotional, the psychological. One shouldn’t
confuse the actual events with the inner events. That’s where a lot of
beginning writers make a big mistake. A lot think everything is exactly  as it
happened; but we put our own interpretation on events. I didn’t  invent any
actual events. . . . but everything else is fiction. That is  very important
to me.

Masalski: When you wrote the  book in 1970, how did you go about gathering
evidence? Or didn’t you?
Kim: I didn’t have to gather much. I made a  chronology of actual political
events and a chronology of events in my life.  Then I rearranged . . . I
had to rearrange the events in my life. I think that  the private events
happened at the time [I described them] . . . but maybe  not. The big world
events happened . . . [the question was] how to bring them  together . . . .
The original plan for this book was  different from what it turned out to
be. Praeger planned a series of books on  different countries, Japan, China,
India, Korea, etc. to introduce these  countries to American children. I
decided to introduce Korea through family  life. As soon as I started writing,
the book took on a different life. I  called my editor and said, "I can’t do
it the way it was planned." She said,  "What is your idea for the book?"
and I said I didn’t know. She said, "Let it  loose, let it go." I had already
listed many details, for example, what we  typically ate for breakfast,
because I was using that information to introduce  what Koreans eat. When I
finished writing (it took me only three months), we  took a look at the
manuscript. It was not what the editors had in mind, but  they liked it. They took
the work out of the country series and decided to  publish it separately.
But, they wondered, how should they treat it? They sent  the manuscript to
Pearl Buck, and she praised it as a novel. But Praeger  didn’t want a novel. So
they convinced her to call it something else. [She  called it "the best
piece of creative writing I have read about Korea."] So  Praeger decided to just
get it out . . . to let others decide. And the reviews  were good. [Edward]
Seidensticker reviewed it for the New York Times  and Praeger breathed a
sigh of relief.
Masalski: You were a boy of  thirteen or fourteen when the book—and the war—
ended. What do you remember of  your feelings then? Now, fifty-plus years
later, how have your feelings  changed?
Kim: I don’t feel differently about things today.  I feel the same as when
they happened. My father was in a detention camp, so I  didn’t jump up and
down for joy. Rather, I felt that finally it’s happened.  Something that
should have happened happened.
I didn’t have  feelings of hatred for the Japanese. My feelings were more
of contempt. I  despised, had contempt for [them]. . . . In a perverse sort
of way, I had a  feeling of superiority. It was a defense mechanism to think,
"Forgive them,  Lord, for they know not what they do." This may be a
cultural, a class thing.  I felt the Japanese were not to be trusted or respected.
It might have been  different in Seoul, but not in my small town. The
Japanese we dealt with were  not very good. After all, who would go to a dinky
town, a dinky province, if  they had a choice?
I [didn’t] think of the Korean characters  as saintly, but as ordinary. In
those days there was no room for cynicism.  Everything seemed clear cut. We
knew where we were and where we stood. Today  is different; I don’t know
where I stand. I don’t know what to think. . . . in  those days I knew. Them
and us. Cynicism comes from self-doubt. There was no  room for that sort of
thing.
When the Japanese priest and  his wife [who lived nearby] came [when the
end of the war was announced] and  begged that we protect them, my grandfather
didn’t know what to do. . . . I  didn’t know what to do. . . . We went
back to the source of authority. . . .  do what your father would have done.
The tenant farmer, too, kept telling me  that my father would have protected
them. . . .
Actually, my  father was a saint. I wrote an inscription on his gravestone,
"He was a good  man and just." He was like that—truly. I never heard him
say anything bad  about anyone. I never saw him enraged. I’m not like him. . .
. He had a great  capacity for suppressing his feelings; he was patient.
If I  had been exposed to constant hatred at home, maybe I would have felt
differently about Japan and the Japanese. But I wasn’t. Grandfather never
said  much. And I never heard my father say nasty things verbally. We
thought,  they’re bad ones. . . . so why should we waste our time talking about
them. .  . .
____________________________________

If the Japanese had  been victorious, if the war had lasted another four or
five years, maybe  most Koreans would have become  "Japanized."

____________________________________

Masalski: What difference to  Lost Names does it make that you and your
family were well-to-do and  Christian?
Kim: This is a very important question. We were  upper-middle class, the
town’s elite. The Japanese who were there were not. We  saw them as men who
couldn’t get jobs in Tokyo. "Why are they here?" we asked  ourselves. As
colonizers, they were supposed to be better than the colonized,  but a lot of
Japanese were simply not that great. It’s a cultural, a class  thing. I didn’t
hate them. They were like dangerous dogs to be  avoided.
Although we were not that wealthy, we were  reasonably well-to-do. In those
days we were made to look upper class because  we went to college. The
Christian thing is tricky. I’ve been thinking about  it. Some really well-to-do
Koreans, especially in the South—even among my  generation—sometimes the
Japanese treated them like upper class, with kid  gloves. Made them feel
better, like the aristocracy, the ruling class, the  landlord class. Made them
feel as if they were treated with respect. To this  day I know people with
backgrounds like this who are without anti-Japanese  feelings.
The lower classes—what did they care if they were  governed by the Japanese
or a Korean dynasty? They were treated the same. My  grandfather told me
that one time, when he witnessed royalty passing by, he  saw someone miserably
beaten because he didn’t bow low enough. And he (my  grandfather) felt that
when the dynasty perished, well, it served the royalty  right.
I don’t know how much of a sense of nationalism  existed at the time of
Japanese annexation. As long as the upper classes kept  their money and status,
and as long as the Japanese left them alone, what  difference did it make?
And what difference did it make to the peasants—both  Korean royalty and the
Japanese took eighty percent of their crops,  regardless. If the Japanese
had been victorious, if the war had lasted another  four or five years, maybe
most Koreans would have become  "Japanized."
I think it was the middle class, the  upper-middle class who were affected
most by the war. That group produced more  educated people, those with
expanded consciousness.
To the  Japanese, the Christians were the ones with the most connections
with the  West—simply because they were Christians. They were therefore
characterized as  outsiders, as dangerous. They were an important minority because
they were  upper-middle class. They sent their sons to schools and
colleges. So as a  group they were more conscious of national identity. I don’t
think the upper  or lower classes thought about nationalism or independence, but
I really don’t  know. The early uprisings were not organized by the upper
classes. In those  days [during the war], memories were fresh. Twenty–thirty
years later, I don’t  know. . . .
Belonging to that class and being Christian made  all the difference. We
were more aware of where we belonged. I  grew up thinking we were a little
different. Lost Names would be a  different book if it were written by someone
else at the same time but in a  different class and in a different place.
The book is not  representative of "the Korean experience." I was a marked
boy. Somehow the  village had voted me most likely to succeed, because I was
my father’s son. My  grandfather, the minister, was one of the best-known
leaders of the Christian  community. Most Christians knew my grandfather’s
name. The first day back in a  Korean school, things were very tense for me.
My parents wondered, how would  he (I) be received—both by the Japanese and
the town’s kids. I always had to  be conscious of what I was. The key was "do
not disgrace the  family."
____________________________________

One exception I take  is to anyone who says it’s (Lost Names)
anti-Japanese. It’s not; there are  some bad Japanese characters in the book, but it is
not  anti-Japanese.

____________________________________

Masalski: In your opinion, has  the Japanese government apologized to the
Korean people for its treatment of  them during the occupation period?
Kim: I’m not so sure they’ve apologized. Regret,  maybe. But that’s beside
the point. I don’t really care if any government  apologizes. It’s prob
ably a political thing, anyway. It seems to me that  Asians are less capable
than Europeans of accepting collective responsibility  for their actions.
Maybe the Judeo-Christian culture has more possibilities  for atonement and
redemption. Not so true for Asians. Why is it so difficult  for Asians or
Koreans to say we are all guilty? We tend to say, "I didn’t do  it."
Masalski: The title of the  book is problematic—in all three languages. Why
did you choose it? What was  your intent?
Kim: I loved the word "lost" and all the things  that it conjures up,
especially in English. Paradise Lost. Lost is  almost damned. . . . almost
sinful. Lost Souls (which was at one point my  working title). I like "lost"
because it has a lot to do with my sense of my  generation. Kind of like I am
now. I don’t belong. Born in Korea. Moved to  Manchuria. Back to the north
[Korea]. Then to South Korea. Didn’t belong  either place. Then to the military,
where I didn’t belong. To here. For awhile  I thought about it, then I gave
up thinking about it, for it’s not important.  Especially my generation of
Koreans happened to be between periods. . . .  Japanese occupation . . . a
little of that . . . then the country was divided.  . . . then exodus . . .
lost again. Led a refugee’s life . . . lost again . .  . then ended up here
in god-forsaken Shutesbury with a name like Richard. . .  .
My college dean in this country thought that other  students would have
difficulty pronouncing my Korean name, so we looked at  names in a telephone
book. I chose Richard because I knew of Richard the  Lion-Hearted. I finally
had it legalized. I like to think it fits with my  character . . . it’s how I
think of myself. I’m lost, lost between two  cultures, two worlds, neither
North or South Korea, not Korean or American. I  felt that way always, even
as a little kid. I couldn’t even sing Korean songs.  . . .
This has been one of my missions in life, to teach  Koreans to accept
responsibility for their lives, to stop blaming others, the  Japanese, the
Chinese. We lost it. . . . but many Koreans would like to think  someone grabbed
it. . . . thinking this justifies hatred. I’ve often said that  Koreans need
a national psychotherapy session, a large couch. Why are we as we  are, why
is self-examination such a rare commodity in Korean life? Koreans are  so
good about blaming others . . . they know so little about what they have
done. They lack a collective sense of guilt or  action.
Koreans can’t say we were careless, we dropped our  names, and someone else
picked them up and took them away. What the Japanese  did was terrible—
perhaps more stupid than terrible. How can such smart people  do such dumb
things? Didn’t they see that what they did would cause more  resentment?
Masalski: One of the most  important scenes in the book takes place in a
graveyard, where all your known  ancestors are buried. You, your grandfather,
and your father visit that burial  ground after the Japanese have given you
new names, Japanese names. Your  grandfather says, "We are a disgrace to our
family. We bring disgrace and  humiliation to your name. How can you
forgive us?" He and your father bow,  their tears flowing (p. 111). . . . Will you
explain that  scene?
Kim: My father felt that his generation had  failed. (Maybe that’s why
there isn’t naked hatred of the Japanese.) The kind  of man he was resulted in
his asking, "What have we done? How could we have  allowed this to happen?" I
don’t think he blamed grandfather’s generation. My  father had a perfect
right to fly into a rage, but there was none of that.  "The important thing,"
my father said, "is now how can we deal with this?  Someday your generation
will forgive us." Why otherwise would he have taken me  to the graveyard
where he and my grandfather asked their ancestors to forgive  them? He was
almost telling me that one day we would have to forgive his  generation.
Masalski: Were you surprised  by the book’s reception? By the way readers
(then and now) interpret it? Is  there a difference?
Kim: It has been a surprise. It’s especially a  great honor to find it’s
read in so many schools. I really feel good about  that. I have no way of
influencing how readers take it, however. One exception  I take is to anyone
who says it’s anti-Japanese. It’s not; there are some bad  Japanese
characters in the book, but it is not  anti-Japanese.
I wrote it quickly—between books. I had some  legal problems with my second
book and decided to do something with the  Praeger series. It started out
as one thing and ended up another. So I was  very surprised.
Masalski: When they finish  reading Lost Names, how do you want readers to
feel toward the  characters and the countries represented?
Kim: When I wrote the book, I didn’t feel that I  wanted the reader to feel
this way or that. I really didn’t think about  writing for a foreign
audience. I never thought about any audience, in  fact.
Masalski: What led to the  rebirth of Lost Names? How much did the 50th
anniversary of World War  II have to do with it?
Kim: I was willing to let it go, but the time came  when Asian studies
programs here and there realized that there’s not enough  material around. The
talk was taken up on the Internet, and there you are. I  don’t think it had
anything to do with the anniversary of the war.
Masalski: What do you think  the book has become?
Kim: I don’t know. A textbook. I’ll tell you . . .  when The Martyred came
out, the New York Times reviewer said it  would last. . . . When I finished
Lost Names, I didn’t think it was in  the same class as The Martyred, but I
said to my wife, Penny, this is  an exquisite piece, a small jewel. Because
that was how I felt. It was hard to  find fault with the book. The
technique, the language: granted that the author  was biased, prejudiced . . . I
felt it was nice, not grand, not big (The  Martyred was), but nice. I felt
good, really good about  it.
I don’t know. . . . maybe it [the book] will last. If it  does, it’s only
because people will look at it [in a larger context?] . . . if  it were only
a picture of a family. . . . I don’t know, maybe there’s  something more
to it than a family and a family’s survival.
Masalski: If you were teaching  in a college, high school, or junior
high/middle school classroom today, how  would you "teach" the book?
Kim: I would stress that they shouldn’t read this  book as issue-oriented,
as anti-Japanese or anti-colonial. I would ask that  they [teachers and
students] observe and understand how a family, both in  private and in times of
war, copes with war and with one another. I know you  think the characters
are almost too good to be true, but we really were good.  We never fought. My
parents never exchanged harsh words.
My  grandparents were patient souls. It may have to do with the culture
thing. . .  . They had humble beginnings. . . . didn’t have the "more sinned
against than  sinning" attitude . . . they didn’t feel wronged; they were
always grateful  for what they had. I think I have that. I’m so grateful every
time I go into a  grocery store that I am able to pick from the shelves that
which I want. . .  .
My grandmother was tough. . . . grandfather was saintly.  They didn’t talk
that much. I’m different. I’m told that on the second day of  Kindergarten
I didn’t like school so I stopped going. I left the house every  morning and
hid. No one knew until the school came looking. I never went back.  . . . I’
m different. . . .
Masalski: At every one of our  summer institutes, teachers have brought up
the incident in Lost Names  that involves rubber balls. The chapter, "An
Empire for Rubber Balls,"  presents such an engaging, dramatic scene. When the
Japanese Empire was at its  height, the Japanese distributed rubber balls to
all children. But after the  tide turned for Japan, they wanted them back.
As class leader, the boy was  responsible for collecting the balls. He
pricked them in order to fit them  into a container, and the teacher beat him
severely. What is the message here,  the lesson?
Kim: The Japanese really wanted the balls back.  And here is the irony of
the situation. My grandmother, in her peasant wisdom,  came up with the idea
of pricking holes in them. I think the Japanese assumed  that the boy’s
father had influenced him. It was not so . . . the incident  happened. . . . I
was beaten pretty badly. . . . I don’t remember all the  details . . . for
example, there was a Korean policeman, but I don’t think he  intervened. . . .
this is where the fiction comes in. . . . I brought him into  the story.
That’s the fun part of a book like this. . . .  taking fact and fiction and
mixing them together. I don’t know what my mother  said in certain
situations, but I’d make what she said sound good in certain  situations. The
momentum creates the situation. . . . dialogue comes out . . .  you can’t plan
every dialogue. I would call my mother up (when I was writing  the book) and
say guess what you said today, and she would ask, "did I really  say that?"
"There is no nobility in pain; there is only  degradation" (p. 134). This
was an unusual thing for me to say. It’s not  Christian, but . . . the truth
is, for most people a beating is a beating. I  remember my father was held
upside down from the ceiling, not by the Japanese,  but by a Korean who was
working for American intelligence. (This took place in  South Korea after the
family moved from the north to the south.) He was picked  up in 1946, ‘47, ‘
48. . . . a Korean detective working for the Americans  brought him in,
saying he was a communist spy sent by the north Koreans. They  held him upside
down and pulled all his hair out. (In the Japanese prison  earlier, the
Japanese shaved his head every day. . . . he said that was so  painful. . . .)
The Americans held him until something happened that proved he  was not a
spy. When I arrived in the south, I found him and spoke with a  Korean American
in intelligence. When my father was released, I shouted,  "Someday I’ll
kill all you Americans." This was so difficult for me. . . . the  Americans had
come as our liberators. . . .
Masalski: Which  incident/passage in the book lends itself to teaching, or
presents an "ideal"  teaching situation?
Kim: I don’t know about teaching it, but my  favorite scene in the book is
in "Once upon a Time, on a Sunday." . . . They  come home, finally, and the
boy is outside the cottage with paper screen  (shoji) for windows; the light
inside glows, and the boy is looking up.  . . . and this is fact and
fiction . . . being so afraid of the dark, but  suddenly with a sense of the
insignificance of things . . . of his minute  existence . . . and yet we were
killing each other. . . . the sudden  ludicrousness of being in a vast
universe. That day we had studied with the  map in the classroom. . . . and the day
ended with the entire universe in the  dark. . . . I felt some kind of fear,
a primordial fear drove me into the  cottage. Mom, Dad, and light were
there in the face of this primordial fear of  the vast unknown. And what was
there to protect me was the  family.
I like that one-page scene because it suggests the  possibility for the
mind and the view of this boy. . . . the scene is so  commonplace, the
beautiful stars, a conventional thing . . . why be terrified  of that when everyone
else sees something beautiful, awesome. . . . What is  there to terrify him
. . . something scary out there? Something terrifying out  there—all this is
going on out there—war, nationalism, colonialism—it’s all so
insignificant.
Maybe in a sense that’s what I think today,  having gone through colonial
life, war which consumed my youthful existence .  . . and defined everything
for me . . . now is so insignificant . . . in the  twilight of my life.
Really, what we think is so earth-shaking turns out in  the end to be so
insignificant. . . .
____________________________________

Richard E. Kim was born in  Korea and has lived in the U.S. much of his
adult life. He was educated at  Middlebury College, Johns Hopkins University,
the State University of Iowa,  and Harvard. Richard Kim has taught at several
universities in the U.S. and,  as a Fulbright Scholar, at Seoul National
University in Korea. In addition to  Lost Names, he is the author of several
books including The  Innocent (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1968) and The
Martyred (New  York: George Brassiller, 1964). He has also scripted and narrated
several  documentaries for KBS-TV in Seoul.
Kathleen Woods Masalski is  Program Coordinator for the Five College Center
for East Asian Studies located  at Smith College in Massachusetts. She
directs projects on China, Japan, and  Korea that serve New England teachers.
She serves as chair of the AAS  Committee on Teaching About Asia (CTA) and is
a member of the editorial board  of EAA.
Studies,  the seminar was conducted at Mount Holyoke College. Our preconference
assignment included reading this novel, and we actually had the  opportunity
to meet its author, Richard E. Kim, during the conference.  He helped us
analyze our feelings and reactions to his powerful story.  In announcing its
reprinting, scheduled for 1998, he previewed our group  with his own Author’s
Note for this new edition in which he states that  he is proud of the fact
that his work is often taken as a factual  memoir, not fiction.

Fast-forward one year, and I am now teaching Seventh  Grade Social Studies
at the Brimmer and May School in Chestnut Hill,  Massachusetts. Brimmer is a
small, coed private school and a member of the  Coalition of Essential
Schools. The philosophy of this coalition promotes a  collaborative education
encompassing the values of independent thinking with  group oriented problem
solving and analytical skills, community, individual  responsibility,
citizenship, and respect.
In this collaborative setting, I found myself team  teaching these students
with Joseph Iuliano, who taught English in addition to  being Head of the
Middle School. Interestingly enough, when we met over the  summer, we were
both new teachers to the Brimmer community. Our initial course  curriculum
goal was to meld writing skills with the study of geography and  culture of the
Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. We also planned to  incorporate a
student project entitled "Family History—A Short Story."  Questions to be
addressed included: what resources can students use to learn  about their
ancestors and other cultures; and how can factual events be used  to enhance a
fictional work? For this project, we required both accurate  historical and
cultural information, along with a solid narrative model, which  the students
could relate to and emulate. We also wanted to ensure that this  experience
would be academically enriching for them as well as being  personally
satisfying.
In August, I had given Joe my copy of Lost Names  as potential curriculum
material for his English class. He rediscovered the  book while cleaning out
his office prior to this term and began reading it.  Simultaneously, I
realized that we were doing the students a disservice in not  studying the
cultures of Asia. In discussing this lapse with him, we realized  that this novel
would be a perfect fit for our project. When both Joe and  myself had
initially read Lost Names, we did so without realizing that  it was a work of
fiction because of its personal intensity. We hoped that our  students would
assume the same until they read the Author’s Note at the end,  thus
subliminally impressing upon them the literary style we were looking  for.
In addition to reading the book to appreciate its  composition, we also
wanted our students to glean the significance of the  actual history. Lost
Names contains pronounced anti-Japanese sentiment  expressed from the black vs.
white/good vs. bad viewpoint of a young boy. In  order to counterbalance
this one-sided view, I also chose to incorporate  excerpts from other works
such as Saburo Ienaga’s The Pacific War:  1931–1945, Norma Field’s In the
Realm of a Dying Emperor, and films  like Isao Takahata’s Grave of the
Fireflies, which all added critical  insight into this study. My fear was that if I
presented Lost Names on  its own, my students would walk away with a biased
opinion of Japan instead of  a variety of perspectives from which they could
judge Japanese culture and  political actions themselves. We did not believe
our seventh grade students  had been exposed to a strong enough background
in World War II history to  prevent a bias if the book was taken on its own.
Some initial student comments regarding Lost Names  follow:

We learned a  lot about war and life in it. After we read the book we
watched a video  about life in Japan during the war. I found out that life was no
picnic  there either.
Lost  Names was a really moving story. I think Lost Names was the  perfect
book to read before we did the Family History Short Story  Project.
. . . it was a  great example of an autobiography and dealing with
hardships. Lost  Names is a lot easier to understand than many other World War II
references. It is also rare to find a book with a Korean point of  view.

I am the same  age as the narrator, but we have some huge differences in
our lifestyles. I  can play football and use computers and do a lot of
different things. He was  forced to work on building an airfield.
Before reading  Lost Names, I always had thought of books based on history
as being  boring, but after finishing it and writing the short story on my
family  history, I realized what I had thought wasn’t necessarily  true.
My great  grandfather, the person I am writing about, also suffered through
a lot of  persecution because he was Jewish. Reading about this boy’s
experiences  helped me to understand what might have happened to my great
grandfather.
The real  events in Lost Names make it a great research tool as well as a
great  book that teaches different writing  styles.

Many of the students’ projects on family history  coincidentally involve
that same period of time illustrated in Lost  Names. I think this novel gave
them an added perspective on the political  changes erupting at this time.
The novel also illustrated to them that  persecution and political unrest
exists across all cultures and age groups.  They not only learned what factors
affected their recent ancestors’ choices in  life, but that these factors are
in a way universal.
Lost Names is a multidisciplinary novel; it goes  beyond the confines of
social studies or a history course; I plan to  incorporate it into my United
States History courses in the future. I hope my  seventh graders will have
the opportunity to study Lost Names at some  other time in their educational
career with an insight gained from their  Family History Short Story
Projects.
____________________________________

PETER R.  WRIGHT holds a Master’s degree in History and a Master’s in
Teaching from  Simmons College and teaches United States History and Seventh
Grade Humanities  at the Brimmer and May School in Chestnut Hill,
Massachusetts. He has  participated in summer programs and fellowships at Deerfield
Academy, the  University of Virginia, and at the Five College Center for East
Asian Studies  at Smith College.
____________________________________

In a currently popular world literature text of  1,442 pages, there are a
total of four pages on Korean literature. An  entire country’s literary
heritage is condensed into two poems. Until I  read Lost Names by Richard Kim, my
only contact with Korea had  been to watch my mother cry as my older
brother set off for the Korean  War. Then later I encountered some opinions and
allusions to the country  through study of Japanese language and culture. None
of these led me any  closer to what might be the heart and soul of the
Korean people—the  essential quality to which I wanted to expose my students in
world  literature. Then I read Lost Names. I knew immediately that this
text would help my students discover that a small country across the  world
from America, with customs and traditions very different from  theirs, is a
place with warm, friendly people who share the same hopes  and dreams as they
do.

The student body at W. G. Enloe High School is very  diverse. There might
be a dozen different national backgrounds in any given  classroom. A student
sitting side-by-side with a friend who speaks English  fluently may have no
idea that his classmate’s home life is based on  assumptions and ideas quite
different from his own. Until they are introduced  to world cultures and
world literature in tenth grade, our students often have  little idea of the
value and richness of other cultural heritages.
It is the personal lives of others that draw students  into literature,
that make them want to know and understand more about another  culture.
Literature is the perfect key to open the curious minds of  adolescents and help
them to understand that for all of our differences, human  beings share the
same basic needs and desires and values. Lost Names is  one of those rare
texts that appeal to all ages. Seeing World War II through  the eyes of a boy
growing up in the midst of the chaos puts the war in a  completely different
perspective for our students who have no understanding of  genuine hardship
or sacrifice.
____________________________________

I knew immediately that  this text would help my students discover that a
small country across the  world from America, with customs and traditions
very different from  theirs, is a place with warm, friendly people who share
the same hopes and  dreams as they do

____________________________________

Before my students begin to read Lost Names, they  have studied the
cultures, religions, and literatures of India, China, and  Japan. They have looked
at World War II through the eyes of Japanese survivors  of the bomb dropped
on Hiroshima. They are empathetic and sympathetic to the  suffering of the
Japanese people. Then they look at another non-American side  of the war—not
just what Japan suffered, but also the suffering Japan caused.  They triumph
with the small victories of a young boy and his proud father  trying to
retain their self respect amid the indignities of occupation and  war. The
story that Richard Kim weaves encircles them and draws them into the  pain and
daily victories of survival, into the courage and determination to  persevere
in the face of great danger. They see the Confucian values of family
hierarchy and duty, not as abstract characteristics to memorize, but as a way  of
life that, when they are practiced well, supports every member of a
society. They see filial piety and duty as two parts of a whole. They see the  boy
practicing these values as a son and then as a leader of his group at
school.
Until American students see how these values work in  everyday life, it is
hard for them to understand how anything but being a  "rugged individualist"
can be a good way of life. When, in chapter three, the  boy challenges a
classmate to a race, knowing the classmate will win, students  can see that
losing can be a different kind of victory. From reading this  novel students
can begin to develop an understanding of the tragedy of war in  general and
civil war in particular. In addition, they can vicariously  experience the
triumph of the human spirit, something common to all  mankind.
At the end of last school year, when I asked which works  in the curriculum
should be taught again and which replaced, there was a great  outcry for
the continued inclusion of Lost Names. For further  information, see Teaching
More about Korea: Lessons for Students in Grades  K-12. The lesson plans are
published by The Korea Society as an outcome of  the Tenth Annual Summer
Fellowship in Korean Studies Program. The booklet  includes "A Study Guide for
Lost Names and Discussion Questions for  Various Short Stories," all by
Korean authors. For more information about the  publication, contact Yong Jin
Choi, Director, Korean Studies Program, The  Korea Society, 950 Third Avenue,
8th Floor, New York, NY 10022; Phone: _(212) 759-7525, ext. 25_
(tel:(212)%20759-7525,%20ext.%2025) .
____________________________________

SUSAN MASTRO  is currently the Coordinator of the International
Baccalaureate Programme at  W. G. Enloe Magnet High School in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Formerly a teacher  of world literature and Japanese language, she has
written curricula for both  subjects and an article on Japanese literature for
AGORA magazine (1992). She  is an adjunct to the North Carolina Japan Center
and has traveled extensively  in Japan.
____________________________________

    "Problematize the master  narrative!" These were the words some years
ago at an NEH summer  institute for teachers. The speaker’s language wasn’t
mine then (it is  now), but I realized that that’s what I’d been doing in
my teaching for  years: making an issue of the dominant interpretation
(usually that of a  textbook). It is what more of us need to focus on, at all
levels and in  all subjects. Textbooks are always wrong. History is never
simple.
As a professor of Japanese history at a major state  university, I have the
luxury of teaching a full-semester survey course  on Japan (History of
Japanese Civilization). It is in this course that  for many years now I have
used Richard Kim’s Lost Names. (Just  before the first edition went out of
print, I was able to buy forty  copies, so that Lost Names lived on in my course
even though it  was out of print.) So let me describe the course.

There are forty-five students of various rank, freshman  through senior;
and the class meets three times per week. Two meetings per  week are lectures,
films, or other activities; one meeting per week is a  discussion. I lead
all the discussions. One of the concerns throughout the  course is the
relation between author and material (study the historian), and  the syllabus
carries biographical data on all authors we encounter, including  both me and
Richard Kim. I have as well the advantage of having been present  twice in the
last five years when Kim discussed Lost Names with groups  of teachers.
The latter half of my course, roughly, is Japan since  1800. Because I
dislike textbooks, I assign a non-textbook, Ienaga Saburo’s  The Pacific War,
and then spend much of my time disagreeing with it. My  lecture presentations
take issue with Ienaga, and for the final paper the  students have to
compare and contrast Ienaga and Minear. The next-to-last  paper concerns Lost
Names.
The Lost Names paper focuses on ethnocentrism in  the Japanese treatment of
their Korean subjects (Lost Names is the  students’ only source) and on how
to evaluate the evidence Kim presents. Lost  Names is not a history book;
but how do we process the information Kim offers?  Students find the first
part of the paper—how ethnocentrism affects the  narrator and his family and
the Japanese officials—very easy and the second  part very difficult. The
sheer power of Kim’s prose makes it difficult for  them to step back and
criticize—even though this is late in the course and we  have been criticizing
sources all semester.
But close reading and criticism are what the course is  about, and despite
the fact that many students complain that Lost Names  is all they know about
the subject, I insist that they can and must  criticize. It is not a matter
of liking the book or not liking the  book; with rare exceptions, students
are bowled over by it. It is a matter of  processing the material.
So where to begin? As always, with the author’s  biography. Clearly, the
narrator’s life and Kim’s overlap. But how do we deal  with autobiography?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of hearing  things "straight from
the horse’s mouth"? Some students find it impossible to  believe that the
narrator was so utterly invincible, so right in all the major  choices he makes.
The "Author’s Note" at the end of the new edition states  artfully (too
artfully?), "Perhaps I should have included a disclaimer [in the  first
edition]: all the characters and events described in this book are real,  but
everything else is fiction. . . . It is for me a happy predicament. On the  one
hand, a book I created as fiction is not accepted as such. . . ." In
sessions with teachers, Kim has come close to stating that things happened
essentially as he recounts them in the book, except that he combined events  from
separate days into one day or changed a daytime event to  nighttime.
At war’s end, Kim the author is thirteen years old, the  age of the
narrator. But Kim wrote Lost Names twenty-five years later,  in 1970, when Kim the
author was thirty-eight. Between 1945 and 1970 Kim had  continued his
education in Korea, fought in the Korean War (on the side of  South Korea),
attended Middlebury College, and written several novels about  the Korean War; in
1970 he was teaching in the English Department at the  University of
Massachusetts (he wrote Lost Names in English). What is  the relation between Kim
in 1970 and the narrator in 1933 or 1940 or 1945?  That is a real question.
Most if not all students note that Kim the author cannot  have remembered
the scenes from 1933, at the beginning of Lost Names.  After all, he is a
baby in his mother’s arms. Fewer raise questions about the  scenes of 1940 (the
loss of names, when author Kim was eight years old) or  1945 (the
liberation, when author Kim was thirteen). Lost Names is  seductive in part because
it purports to be a child’s recollection, but are we  reading the thoughts of
an eight-year-old Korean schoolkid (1940) or the  thoughts of a
war-hardened and cross-culturally sophisticated 38-year-old  (1970)? At the end of the
"Lost Names" chapter, the narrator speaks: "Their  pitifulness, their
weakness, their self-lacerating lamentation for their ruin  and their misfortune
repulse me and infuriate me. What are we doing  anyway—kneeling down and
bowing our heads in front of all those graves? I am  gripped by the same outrage
and revolt I felt at the Japanese shrine, where,  whipped by the biting
snow and mocked by the howling wind, I stood, like an  idiot, bowing my head to
the gods and the spirit of the Japanese Emperor." Are  these the words of
an eight-year-old? Fortunately, some students have a family  member or know a
neighbor of that age.
If the thoughts are, in part at least, the thoughts of a  38-year-old, what
were the influences on him? When teachers asked author Kim  about favorite
reading when he was young, he mentioned the great Russian  novelists (in
Japanese translation). Is Kim’s narrator perhaps part Tolstoyan  hero?
Is the narrator’s experience representative of the Korean  experience? Lost
Names is useful in my course in part because much of  what the students
hear from me (especially in contrast with Ienaga’s book) is  sympathetic to the
Japanese—not in their treatment of Koreans but in relation  to their
struggle with American power. To hear a Korean viewpoint is  enormously useful.
But is Kim’s viewpoint the Korean viewpoint or  a Korean viewpoint? This is a
tougher issue for students, but some  acknowledge that the narrator and his
family are exceptional in terms of  wealth, prestige, nationalistic activity
and religion, that one of the  narrator’s classmates—Pumpkin, for example—
might have written a very different  book. On occasion I have given them a
quotation from an essay by Bruce Cumings  to underline the point that not all
Koreans think alike. Speaking in 1950, a  Korean industrialist commented
that the return to Korea after the war of  "numerous revolutionists and
nationalists" had stirred up anti-Japanese  feeling, but today "there is hardly
any trace of it." Korea and Japan "are  destined to go hand-in-hand, to live
and let live," so bad feelings should be  "cast overboard." Today "an
economic unity is lacking whereas in prewar days  Japan, Manchuria, Korea and
Taiwan economically combined to make an organic  whole."
Almost to a person, the students are appalled at the  Japanese treatment of
the Koreans that Lost Names describes. It  reinforces what they read in
Ienaga, and I offer them no contrary evidence. (A  former colleague of mine,
growing up on Taiwan at the same time, was sure at  the end of the war that he
was Japanese, not Chinese. Was Japanese colonialism  the same everywhere
and for every person subject to it? That is material for  an entire course.)
Could Lost Names happen only in Korea, or are there  echoes in the histories
of other countries, perhaps even our own? This is a  tough one. A number of
students come up with Ellis Island and the changing of  names; but that was
by and large voluntary—a simplification, not the forced  purging of a past.
A very few mention the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the  schools it ran,
which outlawed the use of native languages and insisted on  "Christian" names.
These events do not excuse the Japanese acts we read about  in Lost Names,
but they provide a context that the book does  not.
We do not discuss Lost Names in class; the  students read it on their own.
Here are excerpts from two papers from Fall  1998 (I have made no changes):

Lost Names  is a work of fiction, and it can not be construed otherwise. .
. . [t]he  narrator’s family counters each insult from the Japanese in a
glorious  manner, which gives the story an element of unrealistic magnificence
often  found in fiction. . . . Events described in the book may have
happened to  Koreans, but it is implausible to have one family continually shake
the  foundations of Japanese occupation in one town without being ousted or
"disappeared"—especially when the Thought Police knew the narrator’s father
organized a resistance in the past. The story is perfect. It was obvious
that the narrator would save the Japanese Shinto priest—everything falls
into place, and the family reclaims their dignity at every step. But these
elements exist only in fiction.
—a junior majoring in History

Kim did not write  Lost Names as a journal, as events happened. Instead he
wrote the  story when he was in his late 30’s as a subjective reflection on
what  happened. The story was subjected to his experience and his views of
the  occupation and later events that shaped his  life.

—a sophomore majoring in Political  Science

It was clear from both their papers that Lost  Names had moved these
students, but they had been able to keep their  critical faculties intact. And
that, I suggest, should be one major goal of  our teaching.
Lost Names is a work of high art. It deserves the  most serious
consideration. In my course, we use it in significant measure to  problematize the
Japanese master narrative. But just as there are American and  Japanese master
narratives, so there is a Korean master narrative. We need to  be as leery of
the Korean master narrative as of the other two. We may not  know much
about Korea, but there, too, we need to problematize the master  narrative.

RICHARD H.  MINEAR is Professor of History at the University of
Massachusetts at  Amherst. He has translated the writings and poetry of atomic bomb
survivors of  Hiroshima, Hiroshima:Three Witnesses, 1990; Black Eggs, 1994;
When We Say ‘Hiroshima,’ 1999. His most recent book is Dr. Seuss  Goes to
War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel  (1999).

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Laura Reizman <_lhreizman at gmail.com_