[KS] Upcoming RASKB lectures

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Jun 24 03:29:46 EDT 2011

Members of the list residing in or passing through Seoul might like to know about the following lectures:

Our lectures are held in the Residents’ Lounge of Somerset Palace (near Anguk Rotary) starting at 7:30pm. We are deeply grateful to the management of Somerset Palace, who most generously allow us to use the room without charge.

June 28 lecture (and July 2 visit to S?chon/Seochon )  Professor Robert Fouser (SNU)
S?chon/Seochon: Wandering Seoul's Last "Untouched" Neighborhood
Professor Robert Fouser (SNU) lived for a time in an old Korean house (hanok) in the still well-preserved old neighborhood to the West of Ky?ngbok-gung. He is alarmed to see how little is being to done to protect such a beautiful area from the greed of developers and will show our members what is in danger.

July 5 lecture   Gary Pak
Diaspora, Plantation and Independence:  A Pictorial and Literary Journey of Early Koreans in Hawai'i
Gary Pak is a well-known Hawai’ian novelist and writer. His ancestors came to Hawai’i from Korea early in the 20th century and he will tell us about that early Korean diaspora.

July 12 lecture  Professor Robert Buswell (UCLA)
Korean Buddhist Journeys to Lands Worldly and Otherworldly
Professor Robert Buswell (UCLA) is a distinguished scholar, an expert on Korean Buddhism, and the author of many books. He is an Honorary Member of the RASKB.

For further information please see our home page  http://www.raskb.com/

Brother Anthony
President, RASKB