[KS] How 38th Parallel became demarcation line between South and North Korea in 1945?

Katsiaficas, George katsiaficasg at wit.edu
Sun Jun 26 14:01:57 EDT 2011

Dear Kwang On,

Thanks for yet another intereting email. To understand the apprently arbitrary division of Korea at the 38th Parallel, one might also consider the division of Vietnam, for the four allies--the US, the UK, the USSR and China--each got half of Vietnam or Korea in 1945. At the same moment that the US and USSR divided Korea to accept the ceremonial swords of Japanese commanders, China and the UK divided Vietnam at the 16th Parallel so each of the Big Four would get something. This seemingly insignificant piece of information becomes important when we remember that after the 1954 defeat of France by the Viet Minh, Vietnam was subsequently divided at the 17th Parallel, no longer at the 16th, by the Geneva Agreement. Clearly the new line was drawn further to the north so that Hue, the country's third largest city and old imperial capital, would fall within the French/US zone of control.

Again, US policymakers were surprised by communist "generosity," which might alternatively be interpreted as a desire to avoid further war and trust among former allies.

George Katsiaficas