[KS] Naming Kwangju, May 1980

Balazs Szalontai aoverl at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 02:58:12 EST 2011

Well, in Russian language the word "vlast'" is also translatable as "authority," but it is more frequently translated as "power" (meaning "the power that be"), particularly in reference to the Soviet regime. While "Soviet power" (sovietsky vlast') was meant to have positive connotations in official use, dissidents used the dichotomy "vlast vs. society" to express that the regime had power but its legitimacy was dubious. I think this is closer to what Chun represented than the term "authority." It is compatible with what you say about Chun's very real control over the country, but it does indicate that a brand-new putschist junta is not exactly the same kind of authority as an elected government (or at least a government that has been in power for a substantial time). "The power that be" might be more appropriate. It is not merely an academic's quibble since for many decades, both South and North Korean governments were extremely unwilling to use the
 term "authority" to the leaders of the other Korea. Still, I don't intend to go further in a stylistic dispute over what Chun was or was not.:)

Balazs