[KS] Naming Kwangju, May 1980

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Nov 16 14:17:18 EST 2011

Quote Don Kirk:

>All I'm saying is the Kwangju revolt was the
>Kwangju revolt -- an act of "resistance," an
>"uprising," no doubt, that culminated in a
>"massacre."

But the above is a dangerous and factually false
statement. The demonstrations did not _culminate_
in a massacre. No sort of civil protest
culminates in a massacre. That way
(intentionally?) you make the demonstrators and
later victims responsible for being killed by the
South Korean special forces. That is not
acceptable.

------
cul·mi·nate
   a. To reach the highest point or degree;
climax: habitual antagonism that culminated in
open hostility.
   b. To come to completion; end: Years of waiting
culminated in a tearful reunion.
------

Regards,
Frank