[KS] US military archives on tourism

RogerALewis at aol.com RogerALewis at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 23:30:47 EST 2011

I do not know if this work would fit into your topic but a book dealer in
the Washington DC area advertises the following item:

Repatriation From 25 September 1945 to 31 December 1945
by  Gane, William J.
signed
Presumed First Edition/first printing. Wraps.  United States Army Military
Government in Korea, Foreign Affairs Section, Seoul,  Korea (1946)
Fair. No dust jacket as issued. Signed by author. Ink notation  on front
cover. Signed on free end paper. Cover has some wear and signing. Spine  torn
at top and bottom. Some page discoloration. 97, 66 p. Includes
illustrations. Fold-out plates. Number 00016 on front cover. Word "Restricted"  written
in ink at top of front cover. This work, while extremely rare, has been
widely quoted in the literature about repatriation from Japan to Korea and
about  Korean residents status in Japan after the liberation of Korea. Seven
copies,  including two at the Library of Congress, are held by libraries. It is
not clear  that any copies, other than this one, is in private hands. The
author continued  to specialize in Far Eastern affairs, and earned a
Doctorate from Northwestern  University in 1951. His dissertation was entitled
"Foreign Affairs of South  Korea, August 1945 to August 1950". Related Master's
thesis: "Repatriation in  Korea", by William J. Gane. M.A. in Political
Science, Northwestern University,  1950. William Gane died in 1959, on his 39th
birthday, in an aircraft accident  along with his brother Charles, in
Alberta, Canada. He is buried at Arlington  Cemetery in Drexel Hills, PA (Hillview
Lot 928). This work describes the work of  a combined United States Army
effort to repatriate most of the Japanese in Korea  back to Japan and to bring
back to Korea nearly 1, 000, 000 Koreans in the brief  span of three and
one-half months. William Gane was the first person assigned to  the Displaced
Persons Division. The first reasonably accurate figure reported to  the
Military Government of Korea by the Foreign Affairs Section place a total of  6,
200, 000 peopled to be handled as displaced persons. Movements across the
Thirty-eighth were noted. This is an account of an organized mass movement of
 people that rivals any other major migration in world history, including
the  movement of the Helvici reported by Caesar, and those caused by Attila
the Hun  and Genghis Khan.

The dealer is Ground Zero Books, Ltd. and their website is.
_www.groundzerobooksltd.com_ (http://www.groundzerobooksltd.com)

Roger

In a message dated 11/20/2011 9:30:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,