[KS] Jazz in Korea--Josephine Baker

Steven Capener sotaebu at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 09:01:56 EST 2011

Hello again Frank and all,

I agree with Frank, where are the Korean lit. people?

As this is has developed into a very interesting and productive line of inquiry, I will add a few more comments.

Let me start by saying that whether one reads the two essays by Yi that refer to his trip to see Baker as fiction or a factual account is, ultimately, up to the individual reader. And that may be as far as this discussion can realistically go. Let me suggest this, if scholars who are knowledgable about Baker's career can demonstrate that she was somewhere other than in Asia in July of 36 then it's a done deal. If, on the other hand, there is a gap in the record of her whereabouts for that period then we have a very different situation. I would be most thankful if someone could provide such information.

Back to the question of how to read the text, and I will reiterate that it is a personal process, during my PhD course work at Yonsei University in Korean literature, I took a course dedicated to Yi's writings. We read all of his essays and most of his short fiction. On the day that we covered the essay in question (his visit to C-port). Baker's visit was the main point of discussion. I was the only non-Korean graduate student in the class. Not one of the other 15 grad students nor the professor expressed the slightest doubt that this was a description of real events that Yi had witnessed. The unanimous opinion was, "Wow, Josephine Baker visited Korea." These were native speaking Korean PhD candidates in Korean literature coming to the text with no investment in whether she had been in Asia or not. And the professor is one of the most prolific commentators on colonial literature currently writing in Korea. Again, individual readers should decide for
 themselves, but if we are basing our judgements on what a text says and how it reads, then certainly this means something.

Having read all of Yi's essays, one thing is clear: many of them have a dreamy, lyrical quality as does his fiction (he uses the word "dream" more than 80 times in his 350 plus page novel "Endless Blue Sky). One of his most widely read essays is titled "While Burning Leaves" (낙엽을 태우며)  in which he engages in a lyrical, dreamy rumination on life while raking up and then burning the leaves in his yard. Yet, no one doubts that he actually raked up and burned those leaves. In fact, this is the distinguishing feature of his writing whether it be essays or fiction. Several very prominent scholars have characterized him as a writer who writes a "verse-like prose" with Kim Dong In going as far as to say that he "betrayed the spirit of prose" with his predilection for a lyrical, poetic style of writing (read a lack of intense focus on terse, descriptive diction). In fact, this was an element of his modernism.: the development of a new, original way
 of using the Korean language.

As to Frank's assertion that due to the digitalization of so many colonial sources, references to a Baker visit to Korea could not go overlooked, actually makes my point for me. Why then have all of them overlooked not one but two references to just such a visit by one of Korea's major writers? There is a limit to what one can do by punching keywords into a search engine. What else might be out there waiting to be discovered?

Belated happy thanksgiving Frank and list members,

Best

Steven