[KS] -열 / -렬 (question to linguists & Korean native speakers)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Nov 30 12:07:20 EST 2011

Dear All:

In between all the big topics, here a small detail question, a
question mostly to native speakers of Korean and linguists:

I know, we all know, that in the North they always use the harder
variation for the pronunciation of certain syllables (resp. Han'gŭl
rendering of Chinese charcters): 리 Ri instead of 이 Yi, 력사 ryŏksa
instead of 역사 yŏksa, and so on. So far so good.

But the following case that just came up confuses me--this is about
the usage in SOUTH Korea only:
金昌烈 -- a well established painter in South Korea, born in 1929, known
for his modernist brush-and-ink paintings, usually showing water drops.
You find most websites giving his name in Han'gŭl as 김찰열 (Kim
Ch'angyŏl). But maybe about one third of websites or entries in
encyclopedias give it as 김창렬 (Kim Ch'angnyŏl). [This is unrelatd to
how he himself transcribes his name into Latin script.]

Can anyone explain the situation? Are there any rules in South Korea
(for names), and if not, if this is up to every individual to decide
(which is my impression, thus far), then how come that with such a
prominent name we still see these variations? And finally, how do you
handle such cases when you refer to such people (where there are such
variations ... again, I just talk about Han'gŭl variations, not
transcription systems)?

Thanks for your input!

Frank