[KS] Korea & ethnic purity

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:48:20 EDT 2011

A few quick thoughts on this topic

1) Most of the Chinese in "Chinatowns" in Korea are of fairly recent origin
(100 years or so) and do usually self-identify as "Chinese."

2) Most in the ROK had Republic of China (Taiwan) passports until the ROK
normalized relations with the PRC in 1992. After this, the ROC was kicked
out of the embassy in Myôngdong and there has been an increase in Chinese
from the PRC (mostly from Shandong) in Korea.

3) In the 60s, 70s, and 80s, the sense of discrimination felt by the Chinese
in Korea was widespread and palpable. I often heard Chinese lamenting that
Korea was the only place on earth where the *huaqiao* magic didn't seem to
work. In the early 90s I was given a pamphlet entitled "*Uri-nûn Wei
Chajangmyôn changsapakke halsuopnûnga?*"  ("Why is it that we can only make
chajangmyôn?) which lamented the various ways in which ROK state and society
made life difficult for the Chinese in Korea.

I haven't seen this but I wouldn't be surprised to someday receive a
pamphlet from a North Korean defector titled " *Uri-nun Wei Naengmyon
changsapakke halsuopnunga?*  *Plus ca change...

*Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--
Kirk W. Larsen