[KS] Music in Korea

Jonathan Kramer jonathan_kramer at ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 11 18:03:58 EDT 2011

Dear Korea Studies Listserve members,  I received my desk copy today of Donna Lee Kwon's "Music in Korea: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture" from Oxford University Press.  I had the privilege of reading the galleys and it has come out beautifully.  This is a very important contribution to the available pedagogical material on Korean expressive culture.  It offers valuable insights into musical practices of the PRNK not heretofore available in such accessible form, and for a slim volume aimed at undergraduates it offers quite a comprehensive overview.  Check it out, share with your students.  The volume is dedicated to three who "no longer walk the Earth" whose spirits permeate the work: Marnie Dilling, Peter Kim, and Mirjana Lausevic.  They would be proud, I think.

Best to all.  jk

Jonathan C. Kramer, Ph.D.
Dept. of Music
Box 7311, NCSU