[KS] Korea and Koreans as featured in literary works by non-Korean(ist) writers

Jan Creutzenberg jan.creutzenberg at fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 26 08:24:55 EDT 2011

A good question indeed -- I guess it depends on what you're
interested in.

In a 'literal' sense, spoken or sung text would not be literature,
though in a broader definition (literature as the art of language),
I'd certainly include pansori lyrics, mask dance "drama", as well as
other forms of orally transmitted art such as Kim Keumhwa's gut
liturgy. Dito, when using "literature" as a qualitative description.

On the other hand, in many cases qualification as literature simply
does not matter very much. In the case of pansori, for example, what
interests me more is how the process of creation/delivery/reception
of such texts works in performance (and all the other things that go
hand in hand), rather than the status of a resulting transcript.

Anyway, in the case of the ballet -- which could be considered a text
only in a semiotic sense -- what makes it in my opinion an
interesting addition ot the list is the narrative content of the
piece, whether the story is written or danced.

Another work from the era might also be of interest, this time an
"original comic opera" (or musical comedy) that takes the reverse
approach (music:  Gustav Luders, words: George Ade, premiere in New
York, 1904): "The plot is woven around an energetic Yankee who goes
to Korea and finally becomes the Sho Gun."

The setting of the musical, which takes place in the present, sounds
vaguely familiar: "Kachoo is an imaginary and secluded island in the
Sea of Japan between Japan and Corea. It is supposed to be untouched
by modern civilization." References of producer Henry W. Savage (the
"Yankee impresario"), the writer and the composer include "Peggy from
Paris", "The Sultan of Sulu", "Prince of Pilsen" and "King Dodo".
Whether some of the characters are supposed to be "Koreans" is hard
to tell -- names range from Kee-Otori to Hanki-Punk. The (scrambled)
libretto can be found here: http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/
gustav-luders/the-sho-gun--an-original-comic-opera-in-two-acts-edu/1-
the-sho-gun--an-original-comic-opera-in-two-acts-edu.shtml

Best, Jan

---

Jan Creutzenberg
Grünberger Str. 85