[KS] Subject: Re: Korea and Koreans as featured in literary works by non-Korean(ist) writers

Christian Lewarth letemps24 at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 28 04:58:54 EDT 2011

Dear Mr. Frank,
As a sidenote to your side note comment I want to mention, that the Anthropological and Ethnographic section of the then "Naturhistorische Museum" in Vienna was having a collection of various Hanbok, and it was presumably publicly exhibited then. Another thought that came to my mind, and that may be an overinterpretation, is that when I saw the picture I found it a little similar with some of the pictures of the painter Kisan (or Kim Chun’gŭn) from whom there is a collection in the Viennese Museum since 1886.
Best wishes,
Christian Lewarth
Student in Vienna

Ruediger Frank wrote:

On a side note, that's what I found remarkable about the 1897 "Die Braut von Korea" ballet (odd German, by the way): the costume is actually a hanbok http://www.bildindex.de/obj07053790.html. I was afraid to see something more Japanese, like in the passage quoted below: "energetic Yankee who goes to Korea and finally becomes the Sho Gun." My impression is that this ignorant perspective (Korea, Japan - what's the difference, and why shoudl we care) was the rule rather than the exception. Gosh, even 100 years later Europeans would name Sony and Samsung as big Japanese companies.
Cheers,
Rudiger