[KS] The Korea Society presents Yeonghwa: Korean Film Today @ MoMA I September 22 - October 2, 2011

Grace Jung grace.jung at fulbrightmail.org
Fri Sep 9 18:23:55 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues:

The long wait is finally over, and on behalf of The Korea Society, I am
happy to invite you to the second annual Yeonghwa: Korean Film Today @ MoMA
screenings starting this September 22nd and lasting through October 2nd. We
are excited to announce a terrific lineup which is currently available on
our website<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ohhl4rw8mbn4#1324a241b1bdbd57_http://www.koreasociety.org/arts/film/yeonghwa_korean_film_todaymoma.html.>and
MoMA's Film
calendar <http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1205>.

This year, we are pleased to welcome back Yim Soon-rye, South Korea’s most
highly regarded female filmmaker, to New York for the Opening Night’s
screening of Rolling Home with a Bull (2010), which follows a young man’s
forlorn life as a failed poet and unemployed bachelor, who winds up taking
an unexpected journey throughout the country with his father’s cherished
bull and making a series of peculiar run-ins.

This year’s Yeonghwa series will also have a special focus on director Jeon
Kyu-hwan, whose Town Trilogy films--Mozart Town (2008), Animal Town (2009)
and Dance Town (2010)—examines various human lives that exist in Seoul’s
urban landscape, including those of an African laborer, a Russian exchange
student, a reformed pedophile, a North Korean defector, and a dejected
print-shop owner. Jeon’s Town Trilogy critiques the “town” of Seoul from a
sociological auteur’s perspective.

And this year, for the first time ever, The Korea Society's film lineup
includes two short films by master filmmakers Bong Joon-ho and Hong Sang-soo
that were featured at the 2011 Jeonju International Film Festival as a part
of their Digital Film Project. These short films will be making their
premiere in New York through the Yeonghwa series.

We are also pleased to present the New York premiere of Kim Ki-duk’s highly
anticipated film Arirang (2011), which has created a lot of buzz since its
world premiere at the 64th Cannes Film Festival.

Finally, the Yeonghwa series will close with a retrospective of South
Korea’s legendary filmmaker Lee Man-hee, whose works have recently
experienced a surge of renewed interest since the 2010 remake of Late Autumn—a
lost film that was originally conceived by Lee in 1966. His two films Black
Hair (1964) and Day Off (1968) will both be screened at MoMA.

The film program admittance is included with MoMA admission:
$20 for adults; $16 for seniors, 65 years and over with I.D.; $12 for
full-time students with current I.D.; free for children 16 and under.

The Korea Society Members can purchase tickets at a special membership rate
of $5.
You must have The Korea Society membership card when purchasing tickets at
this rate.
Please contact Yuni Cho at yuni.ny at koreasociety.org for ticket sales
inquiries.
I thank you for your support. Should you have any questions or concerns,
please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Grace Jung

--

Grace H. Jung
Public Relations
press at koreanfilmfestival.org

The Korea Society
950 Third Ave, 8th Fl.
New York, New York 10022
tel:  (212) 759-7525 ext. 351 (Thursday & Friday 10am-5pm)
fax: (212) 759-7530
mobile: (845) 653-1868
www.koreasociety.org
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yeonghwa-Korean-Film-Today-at-MoMA/212844688776752>