[KS] New Yorker features short story by Yi Mun-Yol

Lauren Deutsch lwdeutsch at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 10 03:21:08 EDT 2011

This week¹s New Yorker magazine includes its first short story by a Korean
author, namely Yi Mun-yol¹s 1982 novella, ³An Anonymous Island². I was so
pleased to see a Korean author¹s reaching a broad, very literate and engaged
audience. In 1996, when I began to produce ³Korean Short Stories²,
theatrical readings of a dozen 20th Century works for national public radio
distribution in the USA, getting English language translations of Korean
short fiction was next to impossible to find in general bookstores in the
USA. Thanks to a number of members of this list who served on my advisory
committee, the series was a great success, but was only broadcast once by
KCRW (Santa Monica CA) and afterwards about five other stations in the USA.
It is a pity that the Korea Foundation, one of the supporters of this
project (with the California Commission on the Humanities) never pursued
obtaining rights to distribute it to universities, libraries and, perhaps
more importantly, as audio recordings for general purchase.

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2011/09/12/110912fi_fiction_yi
--
Lauren W. Deutsch
835 S. Lucerne Blvd., #103