[KS] Use of tones and rhyme scheme in hansi poetry

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Aug 11 11:40:08 EDT 2012

If Andrew were in Seoul I would suggest he contact the poet (retired Korea U English lit professor) Kim Jong-gil who continues with others to compose Classical Chinese Hansi in traditional style every month. If he feels in the mood (liquor helps) he might even recite some poems in the traditional jang (song) style. He began his studies in an Andong Confucian academy and could explain everything in English, too . . .

Failing that, there might be something useful in Richard Rutt's  Traditional Korean Poetry Criticism. RASKB Transactions XLVII:105-143. available at
  http://www.raskb.com/transactions/VOL47/vol047-6.docx

I wonder if there is something useful in Rutt's long study  The Chinese Learning and Pleasures of a Country Scholar, an account of Traditional Chinese Studies in Rural Korea. Transactions   XXXVI:1-100.  http://www.raskb.com/transactions/VOL36/Vol036-1.docx

Richard Rutt includes (I believe) some tunes for reciting Sijo in his lengthy study  An Introduction to the Sijo?A Form of Short Korean Poem. Transactions  XXXIV:1-88. http://www.raskb.com/transactions/VOL34/Vol034-1.docx

Br Anthony
Sogang U / Dankook U / RASKB