[KS] Use of tones and rhyme scheme in hansi poetry

Andrew zatouichi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:09:42 EDT 2012

Dear Brother Anthony,

Thank-you kindly for the response and these invaluable papers of Richard
Rutt.  Even at a cursory glance, particularly of *The Chinese Learning and
Pleasures of a Country Scholar*, they look to contain much of immediate
interest to my initial questions, and plenty beside.

I'm currently based in Helsinki.  For the past tens years I've managed to
visit Korea annually, often for extended periods, though not yet in 2012.
 Though not a practitioner I've been quite involved with pansori: one of
the teachers, Master Song Sun-seop (송순섭 선생님), often makes a point of the
need to distinguish the differing intonation between the *mal* 말 of
"speech" and "horse".  He laments how Koreans have forgotten this
distinction; though not directly related to hanja character tones perhaps
it still intimates the former influence of tones on performance of Korean
verse.  Some passages of pansori are so dense with hanja and literary
quotations they almost become a form of sung hansi!

The "traditional jang style" you mention is intriguing.  Do you mean
*chang* (唱)
as in "song," (used also for the sung passages of pansori)?  If this were
an authentic method of hansi recitation, perhaps it is what I am looking
for.

sincerely
Andrew Logie