[KS] An early Anglican text from Korea

sung oak sungoak at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 02:12:49 EST 2012

Dear Korean Studies Discussion List and Brother Anthony,
The book, Cho Manmin Gwang [Lumen] (Seoul: Anglican Church Press, 1894) is a well-known book or tract to historians of Korean Christianity.Han'guk kidoggyo pakmulgwan [Museum of Korean Christianity], Yonsei Universtiy, Chanso^gak, and some private collectors have the original copy.
And Prof. Yi To^kchu published a well-researched paper on the book in 1987.Please see 이덕주, "성공회발췌성서 조만민광 연구" [A Study of Lumen, Extracted Scriptures of the Anglican Church]    그리스도교와 겨레문화 (서울, 기독교문사, 1987).
You can find the images of the whole pages of this Sino-Korean book at http://www.hangeulmuseum.org/sub/information/bookData/total_List.jsp?d_code=00145&g_class=09
Brother Anthony posted its English version. Thank you for your work.
On my webpage, I added another information: The English version was translated into Chino, the language of Mashonaland, (a norther Zimbabwe region) and published in 1900. UCLA library has a copy of this African language edition.Please see http://koreanchristianity.humnet.ucla.edu/sources/tracts
Best,Sung-Deuk OakAssociate Professor of Korean ChristianityUCLA