[KS] Travelogue: Book on Seoul and First Movie ever Filmed and Played in Korea by E. Burton Holmes, 1901

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Feb 24 18:47:45 EST 2012

>I have learned that Holmes' Original 1901 film is now housed at
>Korea Film Council.....

Okay -- but "original" means what here? Does your source reveal more
info? You mean the original roles of film from 1901? Those may have
long gone, as they were re-mastered to 35 mm film in the 1910s or at
the latest in 1922.

I am by no means trying to be overly meticulous about nothing. It is
just that it seems the clip at the DAUM website, that was probably
(?) a filming that some visitor did with his/her camera FROM the
screen at Korea Film Council, yes? There are people standing up in
front while the film is shown. And if that is what the Korea Film
Council has gotten, then it is *for sure* not a copy of the original
1901 film whatsoever, and not a FULL version of the 1901 plus the
1912 films either ... as I pointed out at the end of my last posting.
Also, some if the scenes were not from 1901 but from 1912 while other
scenes that we know must still exist (as they were copied into the
1922 movie) were not at all in that clip.

Best,
Frank