[KS] Travelogue: Book on Seoul and First Movie ever Filmed and Played in Korea by E. Burton Holmes, 1901

Matt Winchell mattwinchell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 13:07:59 EST 2012

According to the Korean Movie Database, this is the only Burton Holmes film housed at the Korean Film Archive, from 1899:
http://www.kmdb.or.kr/movie/md_basic.asp?nation=A&p_dataid=03446

This is what is being shown in the Daum clip (it seems like someone was indeed recording the screen with a camera at a KOFA screening).

According to the KMDb it's five minutes in total and they do have a Duplicate Negative and two Release Prints in their holdings:
http://www.kmdb.or.kr/movie/mdGet_list.asp?nation=A&p_dataid=03446

I'm not sure where the 1901 date comes from...

Matt Winchell
Graduate Student
Center for Korean Studies
School of Pacific and Asian Studies