[KS] DB of Korean Classics

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Jan 18 18:21:44 EST 2012

The posting did not include any link, did not include any detailed
problem description whatsoever other than stating that there are
problems using some online sources on a Mac. (What OS version
exactly, all? Trying to do what? Reading texts seems not a problem,
given you talk about http://db.itkc.or.kr.)

The first step should in such a case *always* be to contact the site
owner and to describe exactly, and with an example, what the problem
is. Instead it is being asked, on this Korean studies list (not this
hacker discussion list), how to "harvest **all** the material" that a
Korean institution in many years of collaborative labor put up there.
Most obviously, the Internet is about sharing knowledge, but not so
much about stealing :)

Technical note:
As far as I can see -- please explain if there are other functions --
one can freely go to any munjip or sillok text and then have that
displayed, paragraph by paragraph, or page by page, in those two
sources I looked into. Texts are being blended in in TEXT format from
a database (as the title of that entire site already suggests) --
that is not any scanned image of a text, not PDF or similar format
either. A database consists of plain TEXT format. (Well, there are
now also image data bases, but this one seems to be a TEXT database.)
You therefore cannot "copy" a full text, as this text does not exist
as such full text--the text of a document only exist as a cut-up
version, whereby each paragraph is located in separate data fields.
Just imagine an Excel spread sheet, and then think of all paragraphs
of text being put into different entry fields there ... and later you
click on e.g. B 137 and you get one of those paragraphs being
displayed in a window in your webbrowser, while the data base itself
is in the background, is not even located in the same folder (maybe
even on a different server for security) as the website you look at.
This is then exactly what the website owners wanted, they wanted to
protect their work, while at the same time allowing LIMITED public
access, just not allow to download the whole package and then
possibly do something else with it (e.g. put it on some other
website).

*If* there are ways to download entire munjip or sillok in one
file--I did not see that, but as I said, I am usually not working
with classical texts; please point out where and how this is supposed
to be done. Technically, this would then be different files than the
ones you see while reading through a text paragraph by paragraph or
page by page. If there is such a function, then maybe the site is
using a Korean altered version of PDF (by now long outdated and
completely unnecessary, in a technical sense, and this would likely
require Microsoft's "ActiveX" which is not available for the Mac, and
it was also discontinued by Microsoft years ago). But I would only
know after having seen what they have there, and I didn't see
anything. Can you post a description of a SAMPLE search or download
attempt, so others can see what problems you have?

Regards,
Frank Hoffmann