[KS] " Chosun, Be Aware! " Ballad of a Shrimp Crushed by Warring Wales

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 1 09:44:51 EDT 2012

Thank you, great.
to 1) Now I understand. I had overlooked the stave rhyme, and now I thoroughly agree, it makes the song really powerful. Learned something, you made my day.
to 2) any idea, how wide-spread this "family baby talk" is? Does it go into folk songs more often? I have never heared this form in speech or must have missed it.
to 3) agreed, there is this pattern in the 1st two lines of this one. But generally this is not a strict pattern. The syllable count in these units in other sijo shows greater flexibility than in the gasa. In gasa the pattern goes over many, many double lines and is adhered to. In sijo there is a much greater variation. Fixing the syllables of whatever number to the melody and the rhythm is the art of performace of a sijo singer.
Maybe the close fit of the 1st two lines of 태산이 높다하되  to the gasa and folk song rhythm is one reason for the popularity of this one?
to 4) Can anyone else help to find the tune? I am really interested and would love to have it.BestWerner Sasse