[KS] " Chosun, Be Aware! " Ballad of a Shrimp Crushed by Warring Wales

Roald Maliangkay Roald.Maliangkay at anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 30 23:23:31 EDT 2012

Dear all,

The ballad resembles a folksongs included in a study on folksongs by Im
Tonggwôn (韓國民謠硏究, p. 180; NB: Im does not claim this was his
transcription, although he did, of course, claim the collections many
thousands of folksong transcriptions to be entirely his own...).

쏘련에 속지말고
미국사람 믿지마라
일본놈 일어서니
조선사람 조심해라

Unless list members recognise this song and can verify the claim that it was
“very popular”, I would be a little more conservative and just list it as
one among many songs sung in the late 1940s (at least). Unless there is the
association with (a version with) musical accompaniment, I doubt very much
that we can ever speak of folksongs becoming very popular.

Just my $ 0.02 worth...

Cheers,

Roald