[KS] Foreign copy-editors and polishers in Pyongyang - andSeoul?

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 22 07:29:37 EDT 2012

The only polishers I meet or knew of in the DPRK were foreign, and, as I
said, they were phased out in 2001-02 on cost grounds. According to the only
one I ever talked to in any detail, they seemed to be mainly used on the
glossy magazines and Pyongyang Times,  rather than other publications. They
could not change any words or phrases relating to Kim Il Sung or Kim Jong
Il. They were expected to complete their work by Tuesday but the Pyongyang
Times  did not go to press until Thursday, which allowed time for the Korean
staff to change things back to the way they wanted.

I never met any Korean-Americans or any others with a Korean background who
might have done this work. There are a lot of North Koreans who have studied
English abroad and who can write it in a satisfactory, if not perfect, way.
They include diplomats and their children; many of the latter attend the
Foreign Languages University on return to the DPRK andthen go into work
involving languages. We never received badly phrased texts from the Ministry
of Foreign Affairs  even if the English was not exactly as I might have
written it.

I have had a couple of conversations with DPRK officials sine 2001 who have
lamented the misuses of words in DPRK English-language publications but who
also indicated the difficulty in getting other organizations to change their
ways.

As for "cutesy" images, I blame Walt Disney and "Hello Kitty"..

Jim Hoare

  _____