[KS] Rhetoric of Hatred: the cornucopia of Korean 4LW's and the English polish..

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Wed May 23 09:00:51 EDT 2012

"I guess the question is, "Is this possibly the result of  BAD TRANSLATION/POLISHING?" "

I think you raise an important point. Some of the details (and occasionally even big issues) are indeed getting lost in translation, which is why I never rely on the English version, in particular when working with idiomatic expressions in both languages. A nice example is the Korean "Chwi Myòngbak" (쥐명박), which is a word game that is completely lost in the English expression rat-like Lee Myung Bak. My research on the use of titles for Kim Jong Il in KCNA reporting has shown that the English version often does not use the same titles as the Korean version, in particular Secretary General (ch'ongpisò) versus Great Leader (widaehan ryòngdoja), not to mention General (taejang, changgun), Supreme Commander (ch'oego saryònggwan) or simply Comrade (tongji). Bottom line: I'd be careful interpreting too much into the English versions of NK propaganda and rather check the original. At the end of the day, this is what the great successor himself might read and thus in all likeliness received his blessings.
Best,
Rudiger