[KS] Rhetoric of Hatred: the cornucopia of Korean 4LW's and the English p...

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu May 24 20:26:54 EDT 2012

Dear friends and colleagues,

Much as I defer to my elders (Jim Hoare) and  betters
(Rudiger Frank), I beg to differ on a few points:

1. Surely there is no comparison between the odd  casual
one-off jibe - passing remarks, made in conversation -  and
the depth and intensity of the DPRK's  deliberate, planned,
vicious, sustained, and above all avowed ongoing campaign
- all neatly filed as such on KCNA,  as I pointed out - against
President Lee. These are simply not the same sort of  thing.

2. I have been reading DPRK sources (in English) for 44  years.
One becomes well versed in insult and threat, and their ebb  and
flow with the ups and downs North-South relations. But I have
never read anything that compares to the  venom of the past
few months, even before the rat campaign started. (One could
check this, as I did in part, at least back to 1996 by searching
on NK-news.net.) How unique is 'unique  enough'?

3. There is a broader Methodenstreit involved  here.
While I understand why for political reasons one might  seek
to assimilate the North Korean regime to other cases and  places
- it's normal, it's rational, they're human, it's not really  so strange -
I wonder how far this assists either social science or policy-making.

To downplay the DPRK's extreme singularity, shall we  say,
just seems wrong to me. Statistically, it really is an  outlier:
or sui generis, if you will. Of course that still leaves the
twin challenges of explanation and policy  formulation.

But what we are dealing with is in the main truly  exceptional,
is it not? Isn't that where we should start? Otherwise  we
may risk downplaying what makes the DPRK so  distinctive.

Aidan FC

Aidan  Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research  Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds
University, UK
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com)
_afostercarter at yahoo.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at yahoo.com)    W: _www.aidanfc.net_
(http://www.aidanfc.net/)
W in Korea:
_http://web.archive.org/web/20090202080126/http://aidanfc.net/index.html_
(http://web.archive.org/web/20090202080126/http:/aidanfc.net/index.html)
.

In a message dated 5/24/2012 09:19:09 Romance Daylight Time,