[KS] Tokto

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Oct 12 16:35:40 EDT 2012

Yes, neomercantilism--that sure makes sense as a partial explanation of
this phenomenon.
QUOTE from a 2012 UCLA dissertation abstract:

"By adopting a new trade policy of FTAs, the Korean state appeared to
shift from protectionism to liberalization, as expected by
international society in the post-1997 crisis period. However, the
adoption of the FTA policy did not signify a genuine neoliberal
transformation but the introduction of a new mechanism to continue the
practices of the old developmental state, or strategic intervention of
the state in the economy, if not as absolutely as in the past."
(http://gradworks.umi.com/35/23/3523544.html)

The issue as I see it is much larger through, or much more complex, if
you want. Although saying that some issue is "complex" mostly just
points to an inability to properly explain it. But you point to a very
important direction there: saying that things are not as they appear to
be--that neoliberalism in Korea is in fact not really neoliberalism but
rather the old developmental state that Park once created, dressed up
in a neoliberal costume. Now, what makes all this so fascinating for
someone following up on "culture" is that these issues seemingly about
economy or history again connect to the redefinition of all the
essential terms, such as "culture" and cultural production itself. I
would suggest to possibly revise all the definitions of the main
elements involved: nation-state, globalization, culture, nationalism.
"Culture," for example, is in a globalized, post-political world with
hyper-communication tools and practices in trade globalized countries
*not* anymore a "cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs,
values, (…) shared by a relatively large group of people," e.g. by the
inhabitants of a country or region, but it is a commercial *product*
that can be ordered, produced, and delivered to your door steps or your
computer or cell phone hard drives. I'll be happy to take your orders
for any culture package, and those come with a free add-on package of
5,000 facebook followers on top of that--and you tell me what you want
exactly, which and how much nationalism and/or local identity. Missing
an actual historical growth (or development) process, a grouping
process, local identity? No problem, this is not needed anymore. Just
search, point, and click to order. When I was 17 an American GI I was
hitchhiking with from Frankfurt to Heidelberg told me in his car that
he believes all those old houses and castles in and around Heidelberg
were from plastic, just as in Disneyland. I then thought that this guy
must be a little dumb to say so. Years later I understood it was a very
witty remark. Now I see that it was just the simple factual truth. Even
the Silla tombs are just from plastic, designed by the Samsung Museum
of Art Corporation. Trust me, I have a degree in art history. ($100 and
I tell you where to order one.)

So, what about the other key elements?
  culture = commercial product (completely globalized, resulting
products independent from location of producer)
  nationalism (resp. national sentiment) = ?
I see no quick and easy answer to this. But we for sure might want to
have an eye on how the general context is changing. If the context AND
purpose (!) of e.g. our communication, consumption, and production is
changing as dramatically as it is, then "nationalism," even if we
define the term as we always defined it, cannot be the same anymore as
it was e.g. in the 1980s. It could well have become something
essentially different--it would not be the first time in history that
the general awareness of such major paradigm shifts lacks decades
behind. That is, we still have not realized, have no appropriate
terminology yet for what is already taking place. People still think
they are actually looking at Silla tombs or walk through Venice
palaces, or that some rocky island might have something to do with
actual history or national interests, while none of those places might
even exist anymore other than as silicon replacements or digitized
images that Google and I are happy to sell you.

Best,
Frank