[KS] Korean Commons?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Sep 5 21:01:06 EDT 2012

Lauren Deutsch wrote:

> There is a very active “creative commons” online through
> which wonderful exchanges are flourishing ...
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Lauren, I cannot follow? Can you please explain what you mean to say.
The link and website you refer to is about an alternative, and now
world-wide very popular licensing contract, mostly
used by programmers (as explained in my earlier posting:
http://koreaweb.ws/pipermail/koreanstudies_koreaweb.ws/2012-September/009813.html).

As an EXAMPLE, if you download the commercial (paid, for profit) Linux
operating system "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" for your home computer or
for an Internet server, then you need to agree to the very license you
are referring to in your posting (when installing it)--see here:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/index.html
And, when you download the more popular free remake of the very same
OS, CentOS, then the same license is applied.

In the end, all this STILL is about protecting intellectual rights of
authorship, just in a somewhat 'softer' way, in the spirit that the
inner workings of the Internet as such introduced to us.

Best,
Frank