[KS] BBC journalists pose as LSE university students in North

Koen De Ceuster koen.de.ceuster at telenet.be
Mon Apr 15 03:11:46 EDT 2013

[KDC] In a way, what is most shocking, is that this is another example of
what Aidan Foster-Carter has called the Columbus Syndrome: here we have John
Sweeney who surfs once more the wave that we have no information on North
Korea and he therefore heroically (and inevitably undercover; you have to
earn the hero label) went in to discover the truth about North Korea by
joining an 8-day tourist group. What can he possibly bring back home but the
same images that all would-be discoverers have brought back from guided
tours: the same-same images larded with comments that he would have given us
anyway prior to his departure. It will not be the images that will stun, it
will be the comments that will make all the difference (or, more probably,
make no difference at all).
Now the BBC is justifying itself by talking about the "huge public
interest", but what on earth can you bring home in terms of visual material
[and insight for that matter] from the well-rehearsed tourist trail that was
not already in the public domain? Are we really going to shout "eureka"
after having seen tonight's Panorama programme.
[KDC]
Aside from this, the really annoying thing is that this kind of behaviour is
so self-centred. Once John Sweeney is gone, he can forget all about North
Korea. But what about those who are trying to build relations with North
Korea(ns) and try to work there on the ground and whose interests have now
once more been jeopardized and tainted with the suspicion of double agendas
and what have you. How can an academic party not be treated with suspicion
the next time 'round? This is something that John Sweeney did and does not
care about.

I just saw Ruediger's message flash up: the LSE party did not go in with
Koryotours, but apparently (at least that is what John Sweeney told the BBC)
with KFA.

Best,

Koen De Ceuster