[KS] BBC journalists pose as LSE university students inNorthKorea

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 07:56:09 EDT 2013

E-mails does not sound likely. Somebody's idea of a joke.

Before I start another hare, Don Kirk has pointed out that I seem to think
that it possible for journalists yo get visas fro North Korea just by
asking. I am sorry if I gave that impression. Of course it is not easy and
many are refused. But it is not impossible and many do go. What annoyed the
North Koreans was those who went and then reported on things that they had
not seen. The late Brian Baron of the BBC had been many times and had done
some pretty critical reporting but when he came in 2001 - and they made a
great effort to get him there - the story as carried included a whole lot of
archive footage about conditions that he had not taken, though he talked as
though he had, and they never invited him again.

My real point was that it a clandestine visit such as Mr Sweeney made will
not give any more 'real; insights than those available to ordinary tourists
- if the Korean Studies List will allow it, see the attached picture from
2011 - most people who have been to Panmunjom from the North will have
something similar.

Mr Kirk is probably right that any danger was exaggerated. But I would still
contend that there is always some potential for danger. In 2001, my wife and
I and other diplomats went with a WHO/UNESCO inoculation team to Haeju to
carry out part of a joint venture program with the DPRK government. After
lunch, instead of staying in the hotel as instructed, some of us went for a
walk around the central square and up an alley. The Koreans accompanying us
panicked and sent our cars to collect us. We then stood around for about 90
minutes while phone calls were made to Pyongyang and we were warned that the
whole program might be put off and that there might be serious
repercussions. The word from Pyongyang must have been favorable because we
were eventually allowed to carry on. In recent years, a colleague has been
held several times for taking photographs - something that never happened
when I was there. North Korea can be a frightening place, especially if you
have been fed a diet of two-way mirrors in bedrooms, listening devices
everywhere (North Koreans believe the latter, if not the former) etc. Given
also the unwillingness of the Tourist Organisation to allow contact with
embassies - in 2011 when I went as a tour leader we only got to the British
embassy when the MFA intervened - one can seem very isolated and vulnerable
even if behaving in a normal way.

Not a place to pretend you are in a spy novel!

Jim Hoare

  _____