[KS] Old Hangul fonts for Mac

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Apr 29 20:10:06 EDT 2013

Donald Baker wrote:

> (…) "area a" (…)
> It's Unicode U + 318D There's another one at U + 119E
> However, I can't figure out how to  insert the area a into the usual
> syllable format. Does anyone else know?

Where do all those incredible typos suddenly come from, that's my
question. Must be Unicode ::)
Okay, about Professor Baker's question, and this may be of interest to
some of those working with Old Korean (by the way, would be great if
*some* Korean terms--such as "area a"--would not be translated …
thanks).

You can type Old Korean on the Mac, of course, but you do need a
keyboard driver to help you for the input.
Now you can either create your own one, which is pretty simple, really,
just that it will keep you busy for half a day … and in that case
please download the below program--the best there is for such purpose,
and at the same time the easiest one to use:
http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele
And this can also be used to edit an existing keyboard driver (!) by
simply importing that and editing it … in case you just want to
re-assign a few keys the way you need them.

Or, alternatively, download the "Hanulim" (version 2.2) keyboard driver
from 2008 which includes a so-called "Dubeol Archaic" keyboard driver.
http://code.google.com/p/hanulim/downloads/list
After de-compressing the downloaded ZIP file, you will see a file named
"Hanulim." Push this "Hanulim" file into the folder "Input Methods"
(which is a sub-folder of "Library" (which is directly on your hard
drive). See the image below: