[KS] The Origins of the Korean Alphabet

King, Ross Ross.King at ubc.ca
Fri Aug 30 21:20:03 EDT 2013

I was not aware of this dissertation, and it seems to have escaped Gari Ledyard's attention in his 1966 Berkeley dissertation. It would certainly be interesting to see; Proquest does not have a pdf copy available for download. WorldCat lists a 4-page pamphlet by the same author titled "Korea must be free: historical sketch of Korean Independence Movement from March 1, 1919 to March 1, 1942."

Do any list members have any information about the author and his fate? I presume the hangul  version of his name is 정계원 but does anybody have the Chinese characters?

Proquest and WorldCat list the thesis as 1938; Kim Tkhia-khen (Kim T'ae-hyon) wrote his dissertation on 'Contemporary Korean writing' (with a section the history of the alphabet) in Russia one year later in 1939.

Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head of Department
Department of Asian Studies, University of British Columbia
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
vox: 604-822-2835
fax: 604-822-8937