[KS] Online resources

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Feb 12 03:37:28 EST 2013

Dear Brother Anthony:

Please keep posting such infos! Thank you.

For example, although I am always very interested in colonial period
publications, I was not aware that the "Chosen koseki zufu" volumes you
just mentioned were available online now. That's absolutely wonderful!

Let me add one practical suggestion here:
you pointed to a particular collection, the Asami collection. If trying
to look for digitized versions of books on certain topics, or for
certain titles, or if looking for publications on topics in various
media (books, manuscripts, videos, music and other audio recordings,
websites, photos, etc.), then we can go to the *main* site at
"archive.org":

  http://archive.org/

That just gives us many millions of more files and documents to search.
As an example, when you search for "Korean geographical names" or a
similar keywords, you may find this:
http://archive.org/details/catalogueofroman00koto -- a 1903 (!)
Japanese publication, _A Catalogue of the Romanized Geographical Names
of Korea_ at the UBC Library, but accessible as PDF and in other
digital media. In this case, it was not helpful as regards to Professor
Best's question last week, about Hasan, but it is a nice example of the
possibilities these joined database searches provide.
_   Other, formerly independent project data bases have now been
incorporated there as well, such as the "Wayback Machine" that allows
you to search archived websites. For example, you can visit any of the
240,000,000,000 archived websites as it was in 1996 or 1999.

Also, I am trying to keep up with listing the *most important* such
online resources at:
  http://koreaweb.ws/3_books.html
and
  http://koreaweb.ws/18_history.html

Please do let me know if I miss any really essential links.

Best regards,
Frank