[KS] Duke Korea Forum: South Korea's Next Presidency Fri 1/18

Cheehyung Kim cheehyungkim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:27:50 EST 2013

Dear Korean Studies Colleagues,

Those of us in the North Carolina Triangle region might find this
event interesting. Please email me with any inquiries. Thank you.

Cheehyung Kim
ACLS New Faculty Fellow
Asian and Middle Eastern Studies / History
Duke University
-----------------------------------

Duke Korea Forum presents:

Colloquium on South Korea’s Presidential Election

The Park Geun-hye Presidency: What Can We Expect? What Can We Demand?

6-8 PM, Friday, January 18, 2013, Franklin Center 240, Duke University

With Sun-Chul Kim
Korea Foundation Assistant Professor
Russian and East Asian Languages and Cultures
Emory University

South Korea’s presidential election, which took place on December 19,
2012, was one of the most colorful and contested in South Korea’s
history. The president-elect is Park Geun-hye of the conservative New
Frontier Party, a tremendous politician with a prevailing legacy as
the daughter of the former authoritarian president Park Chung-hee. She
is also the first woman president of South Korea, a fact of historic
importance. What can we expect from her presidency? And just as
important, what can we demand? Come find out about the person, the
issues, and the claims. Give us your insights. Conducted in Korean and
English. With food and beverages.

Organized by Duke Korea Forum and Department of Asian and Middle
Eastern Studies.
Sponsored by Duke University’s Program in Asian Security Studies (PASS).