[KS] Invitation to the Conference on Korean-Canadian Relations at the University of Toronto

Tina Park park.tina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 05:58:54 EST 2013

Hello everyone!

As many of you may know already, this year marks the 50th anniversary of
diplomatic relations between Canada and the Republic of Korea. In light of
this special occasion, the Centre for the Study of Korea, KOWIN (Korean
Women's International Network) Toronto chapter, the Asian Institute at Munk
and the International Relations Society at Trinity College will be
collaborating on a full-day conference at the Munk school of Global
Affairs, University of Toronto, on Sat, April 27, 2013.

This conference consists of three panel discussions and a keynote address
by the Honourable Senator Yonah Martin, the first person of Korean origin
to be named as a Senator in Canada. Our conference aims to raise awareness
about the key milestones and turning points in the history of bilateral
relations between Canada and Korea; to generate cross-disciplinary
discussions on various aspects of the bilateral relations, encompassing
immigration, trade, culture and religion; and to inspire discussions on the
future of the Korean-Canadian relations. We have some very fascinating
speakers joining us and the conference includes a Korean-style lunch and a
networking wine&cheese reception at the end.

As Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced in Dec 2012, the year 2013 has
been designated as the Year of Korea in Canada, which aims to highlight
Korea’s culture, traditions and diversity, and celebrate the contributions
of the Korean community to Canadian society. Canada and Korea’s strong
relationship is underpinned by a rapidly growing trade relations that
reached nearly $11.7 billion in 2011, close cooperation at international
level on democratic and human rights issues, and strong people-to-people
ties, including immigration, educational programs and tourism.

As we reflect upon our five decades of incredibly fruitful bilateral
relationship, we hope you could join us for an engaging discussion on
various aspects of Canadian-Korean relations and help envision what lies
ahead of us.

Here is the link to the registration page:
http://www.munk.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=13364

Look forward to seeing you there and thanks in advance for your interest
and support. Please feel free to forward this message to anyone who might
be interested at your institution.

Wish you all the best for 2013,
Tina

--
*Tina Jiwon Park
tina.park at utoronto.ca
*
*Ph.D. Candidate*, "Canadian-Korean Relations from the 1880s to the 1980s,"
Department of History, University of Toronto
*Junior Fellow*, Massey College, University of Toronto
*Founder & Executive Director*, Canadian Centre for the Responsibility to
Protect, www.ccr2p.org