[KS] RR romanization rules and conventions

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jul 2 00:30:44 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I have noticed in recent articles published by first-tier Korean
journals that use RR romanization, the usage of "Yi" to render 이 as
a surname (rather than "I" as seems to be stipulated by the Korean
government, e.g. http://www.korean.go.kr/eng/roman/roman.jsp).

Having inquired to journal editors who have authorized this
rendering, I have basically gotten a response to the effect that
this is an exception to RR that is developing as a convention for
surnames to avoid confusion. However, these responses so far have
been based more or less on hearsay, and no one has been able to
provide me with documentation.

As the editor of an online dictionary that uses RR for romanizing
Korean terms, I would like to see if I can reconcile the matter in
as concrete a manner as possible, so any leads would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck
--

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735