[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 121, Issue 36

n.spencer at risingsun.co.uk n.spencer at risingsun.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 18:11:21 EDT 2013

Hi,
I think it possible, even likely that some people of Jewish origin arrived in Korea via Japan during the Second World War.
About 30 years ago, I was taught how to translate Japanese patents by a German, Jewish gentleman who managed as a young man of age 17-18 in about 1937-38, to be lucky enough to get a transfer to Japan from Germany, if I remember rightly, in some kind of press role.
I don’t think that it can be safely said that he, brave as he was to embark on such a journey at that age, was the only one who managed to escape via that kind of route.
I have done a quick search on Google, and it seems that quite a few Jewish people managed to escape to Japan from Continental Europe, even after the war started, and may be one or two would have ended up in Korea??
Kind regards,
Nick Spencer