[KS] bibliographies: Zotero, anyone? (was: full-text services)

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Jun 20 23:18:17 EDT 2013

Dear Korean Studies colleagues,

Speaking strictly of open-source, readily accessible bibliography
services, of course there is the Korean historical bibliography
managed by Ken Robinson (http://www.hawaii.edu/korea/biblio/), but I
would also like to introduce you to another alternative--an
initiative that I started for Buddhist studies. As some of you may
know, I am the founder of the information network for scholars of
Buddhism, named H-Buddhism.

About a year ago, in response to complaints being aired by members
of H-Buddhism regarding the for-pay bibliography initiatives being
started by Oxford, Brill, and so forth, I initiated the H-Buddhism
Zotero bibliography project.

https://www.zotero.org/groups/h-buddhism_bibliography_project/items

This is a crowd-sourced project, presently supported by more than
100 H-Buddhism subscribers, which now has over 7,000 entries (not a
bad figure, after only one year of operation), and is growing
rapidly. In addition to its function of online, cloud-based
interoperability, Zotero also provides extensive local
bibliographical management functions such as those seen in Endnote,
etc. Even better, it is free, and open-source.

It would be effortless for me, or any other member of Koreaweb to
set up a Zotero bibliography for Korean Studies, which I could
immediately seed with more than 300 entries on Korean Buddhism. If
anyone is interested in this, please let me know, and I'll be happy
to set it up. Or if someone else would like to take the initiative,
please go ahead.

Regards,

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735