[KS] _Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn_ as smartphone app

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Mar 11 02:31:29 EDT 2013

Dear All:

Those of you interested in the colonial period will have most likely
seen ads for the 3-volume (plus supplement) biographical dictionary of
pro-Japanese Koreans [_Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn 친일인명사전_], published
in 2009 by Minjok Munje Yŏn'guso. The regular sales price is around
300,000 Wŏn (ca. $270), I believe. The dictionary includes bios of
almost 5000 people. Just search Naver or Google and you will find
plenty of press coverage on the publication.

Like many here, I suppose, I think that such a Cinderella approach to
deal with colonialism--the good into the pot, the bad into the crop--is
utterly useless for the understanding of historical developments. Apart
from this, and with the reservations one should have against
politically motivated biographical dictionaries in general, this is a
useful tool with often well researched biographical entries.

The _Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn_ is now available for $9 as an app for
Android OS and iOS machines: smartphone like iPhone or Samsung Galaxy,
and iPad or iPod Touch. I find it quite hilarious to look up some
colonial period intellectuals or business people on a smartphone, but
it works really fine, and one does not even need Han'gŭl input to
search.
Download link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.minjok.pjdic

Someone should write an article about this ad poster here … from the
home page of Minjok Munje Yŏn'guso :)