[KS] _Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn_ as smartphone app

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Mar 11 18:16:43 EDT 2013

The following issue was just brought up in a brief private email
exchange, related to the earlier posting about the _Ch'inil inmyŏng
sajŏn_ smartphone app. This may well be of interest for other here, so
I post it:

>> Can I convert and run smartphone apps like this on my computer somehow?

Yes. While you cannot convert them, you can quite easily run cell phone
apps on your Windows or Mac OSX computer. There are various ways to do
this, to run Android apps like this one on a regular computer, and the
easiest one (complete install and setup takes no longer than 10
minutes) is to use "BlueStacks" (free program):
  http://www.bluestacks.com
That works fine for all Windows versions, lets you sync selected apps
installed on your cell phone, even all installs from your cell phone,
so you can run all apps from Windows then (e.g. write and receive SMS
from the computer while at home, using a regular keyboard, and still
having copies of them at your smartphone), have them automatically and
continuously synced. *But* for Mac OSX the current beta version does
not work as it should, no syncing, no copy-paste between regular Mac
programs and apps running under BlueStack. (But I got at least the
_Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn_ running fine, emulating a larger tabloid
version of it.) "BlueStack" basically emulates another OS, the Android
OS. There are other ways to emulate Android that also work well for
Mac. (but BlueStack would be the best solution though, when and if it
also works for Mac … maybe with the next release.). All different
methods are very well explained here:
  Windows -->
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-run-android-apps-windows/
  Mac --> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-android-apps-mac-os/

Last note: as for a app like _Ch'inil inmyŏng sajŏn_ that stores its
data in an about 9 MB large data base, it is of course possible to
transfer that data base to another DB format, e.g. FileMaker Pro, and
then have it readily available. That just can't be posted because of
copyrights.

Frank