[KS] Pictori

Roald Maliangkay Roald.Maliangkay at anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 25 19:10:13 EDT 2013

Dear list members,

It is with great pleasure ‹ and sincere gratitude to a generous grant from
the Academy of Korean Studies ‹ that I announce the launch of a new website:

http://pictori.net
http://www.pictori.net

Pictori enables users to upload, manage, share, and use all kinds of images
related to Korean studies. Although many list members will already be using
other image hosting websites such as Flickr, Photobucket, Instagram or
Pinterest, Pictori offers better protection, and more metadata input tools
as well as geographic information, allowing users to indicate on a map
exactly where a picture was taken. This feature is unique to image
management sites, and it will hopefully provide a useful resource. Pictori
also allows you to comment on pictures or ask for help in identifying them.
Please view the About page for more information about the site, and its use.

http://pictori.net/about
http://www.pictori.net/about

NB: clicking on thumbnails will show the image and all known metadata
(including a map where applicable). To see the full-size version of images,
users must be logged in.

I hope many of you will sign up and upload images you think will be useful
to others. If you happen to know some one who is not a list member but owns
an interesting collection of images/photographs, please encourage him/her to
have a look at the website since we certainly developed the site with them
in mind. As I have to approve new members manually (for security purposes),
please be a little patient. It should not take more than 24 hours (and could
take as little as a few minutes).

Last but not least, I would like to express a million thanks to the uncanny
Katie Hayne, the designer and developer of the site. She¹s worked on this
day and night over the past months, and she¹s done a truly amazing job.

Best wishes,

Roald

Dr. Roald H. Maliangkay
Dept. of Korean Studies / ANU Korea Institute
College of Asia & the Pacific
Baldessin Precinct Building #110, Room E4.37
The Australian National University
Acton, Canberra ACT 0200
AUSTRALIA