[KS] Pictori

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Mar 27 09:22:19 EDT 2013

Dear Dr. Maliangkay:

RE:  http://pictori.net
This is a wonderful idea! And the site looks great.

A question and two suggestions:

(a)
Is this now a "private" website with support from various institutions
or is this an official project also owned by ANU? (I read the "About"
text on the website and it still was not clear to me.) It would be
important for those who consider uploading anything and entrust you
with their images to clarify this in detail.

(b)
Personally, I feel that everything around copyrights should be
explained much better and really clarified. (I suggest to use
Wikipedia's copyright explanations for their images as a model, or to
at least look into how they explain issues around copyrights.) Again,
this *is* very essential for anyone who uploads images, as well as for
those who wonder if and how they might be able to use images downloaded
from PICTORI.NET.

(c)
Suggestion: That Pinocchio-esque logo, which then seems to appear on
uploaded images, has no relation to Korea and reminds me of 1960s and
70s Sowjet TV programs for children. I at least would not feel very
comfortable to see that logo on Korea related images I might upload
(and even looking at images with that logo makes me feel I landed at
the wrong airport). Can there not be a far more 'neutral' and
non-personal logo? Or maybe a larger, more appealing cat--such as a
tiger, that would at least relate to Korea then.

Best wishes,
Frank