[KS] Obscure Chinese character

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed May 8 11:09:34 EDT 2013

Sorghum or maize/corn?
Vladimir, I think that must just be a simple (and rather strange) error
of the People's 汉语大字典. You just can't trust those modern works,
can you?
Maize (better known as corn in the U.S.) was introduced to China in the
16th century.
If the character Werner is inquiring about was used for corn in China,
then that indicates it is a neologism. Is it? Werner didn't tell us in
which text he found that character, but knowing Werner a little, I
would suppose the text is not quite of THAT recent origin :)

In earlier postings the "Unihan Database" was mentioned, and that the
character is in there
(http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=258CB). Then
again, looking it up there one does not find a single reference for
this character, no proof that it has ever been used.
Does anyone know how such characters end up in the still growing
Unicode DB? Can I just draw a picture of my grandma and send it on to
someone at the Unicode Consortium and have it listed? Seriously, when
you look a character up in the Morohashi's Dai Kan-Wa Jiten, it will
always give you some proof of where exactly it was used. Unicode does
not by any chance also list non-existing characters (which can be
constructed from existing radicals)? *If* I recall that correct (I
might not), that is the case with some never-used Han'gŭl syllables.

Best regards,
Frank